Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRRI With 12" Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Joe M, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    A local CL ad has a "special edition" PRRI with a 12" Jensen instead of the normal 10" speaker. Anybody have any experience with the PRRI and the 12" that can comment on the differences, if any, from the normal PRRI with a 10"?

2. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    12” feels natural in a PR. I have a ‘77 that someone had already modded to a 12”. I love it.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I prefer a 10” speaker in a Princeton. I had a Blackface clone with a 12 and always felt it had too much speaker. I now have another Princeton Reverb type amp with a 10 and it sounds right to me. It could also be I seem to favor 10” speakers.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I had a 64 Princeton, no reverb...."Fender Electric Instruments" model. I put a 12" Eminence in, made enough difference that it was well worth it. I also put one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs (8") in a custom-built cab with a 12".....went from a home practice amp to gig-worthy. I know people who gig with a PR with 10", but a 12" just makes it a little more "muscular".

5. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I have a 74 silver face Princeton in which The prior owner installed a 12 inch tone tubby hemp Cone speaker, which has a high efficiency rating.
    Since I didn’t own the original I can’t really describe the difference.
    I will say though that I’ve been getting complaints about being too loud with the 8 piece I work with and I never have the volume above three. They say it’s loud but they also say they love the tone, I might add.

6. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I put a 12" speaker in my 1980s Princeton Reverb. I like it.

If you bought a PR with a 12" speaker and decided you wanted a 10" speaker, it would be very simple to either cut an adapter for your existing cabinet, or replace the baffle with another with a 10" opening.

7. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    I have the PR 68 Custom. I've compared it's 10" speaker to using the amp as a head and going into a 12" cab with a Warehouse Veteran 30. The cab with the Veteran is louder and deeper, but I like the 10" Celestion Ten 30 better. When playing my Tele, this amp has a boomy bass that I turn down a lot, and the 12" speaker had too much of that. The 10" speaker gives me just the right range of frequencies.

8. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It's more about the speaker than the size of the speaker.

TimmyV and dannyh like this.

9. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I kinda like the 12", mine has a Cannabis Rex versus the Jensen, but I think a 12" has a little more thump than a 10". Having owned both, with either 10" or 12", the PRRI is an excellent amp.
    IMG_0190 (2).JPG

viccortes285, richey88 and Tezuka27 like this.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I like the 12 in a PR also. This is my bordeaux. Swapped out their 12 for my 12

pr2.jpg pr1.jpg

drmmrr55 and viccortes285 like this.

12. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an original 68 chassis in Allen cabinet with a 12 inch speaker (weber 12f50). It sounds incredible.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    I don’t have a PR, but I’ve run 12s and 10s in my 6G2. I’m inclined to agree with schmee here.

14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yes, I sold an old 10F150 to my neighbor for his 68 PR. Like a whole new amp. That and the 10F150 T are killer for that amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.