Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pros & Cons of Sell All and Start Over

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    nope. I got good stuff and I ain't lettin' go

Tele-beeb likes this.

2. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    I never made too much money on selling old gear.
    There were also some pieces that I regreted selling and had to aquire them again (ampeg GVT head, EHX electric mistress big box, some boss pedals).
    Yeasterday I looked young blood how they do artwise on youtube. And they do great with one computer and 2 controllers so what are we talking about?

Tele-beeb likes this.

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'm in the learn something new camp.

I can't play the piano, but we have one in the house. I also have a wee midi controller keyboard for using with my DAW. I'm slowly getting some chords under my fingers (excuse the pun) and plonking out simple melodies is fairly easy. While it's all pretty rubbish, it is helping and informing my guitar playing. It's also an interesting break from guitar at times, yet a break that contributes.

Pax/
    Dean

Tele-beeb likes this.

4. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Lebanon Pa.
    I recently sold two Les Pauls ( I tried to like them, but LP's just aint my thing) and a 000-16 Martin I wasn't playing anymore. I bought a used James Burton Tele (Mint condition), which I love. Would I sell everything and start over? Nope, I have too many Keepers that can't be replaced. I'm thinking about selling off a few more in the future. Sometimes less is more.

Tele-beeb likes this.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I've been selling some gear for the first time in decades. 3 guitars, 4 high end pedals and one amp gone in the last month. The amp I have a duplicate of and the guitars were nice but hadn't been played for ages. I couldn't imagine selling everything though. I've been buying some new gear with a smaller percentage of each items sale price. That's been fun.

Tele-beeb likes this.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    You need a plan if you want to do this. If it doesn't work on paper, it won't turn out well.

List what you would sell. Research market values (eBay completed sales or whatever). List what you would buy with estimated costs. If you think you are better off with the different gear, you just validated your plan.

After 50 years of buying and selling one at a time, I have stuff that does what I want. I couldn't sell off and start over, I'd just miss the stuff that's gone. It was good when I bought it.

Tele-beeb and Jim622 like this.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    you need to go back to school

Tele-beeb likes this.

8. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Interesting! I'll have to Google them up.

As long as no one tries to challenge me to go without coffee, it's worth a shot...

Tele-beeb and kookaburra like this.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    sell off, buy new: see my sig. actually, in case there is any confusion, my sig is a lie. it is a satirical comment on what so many of us secretly believe.

I know that I need to quit buying gear. I have more than i'll ever need. what I really need to do is learn to play the gear I have.

Tele-beeb likes this.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Pro - You will finally know it’s all about the gear, not the music.

Con - You will finally know it’s all about the gear, not the music.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    Tele-beeb likes this.

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I have a friend who had WAY more gear than me, both guitar and keyboard, (expensive too) and apparently just barely played them. His wife encouraged (cough) him to unload a lot of it a year or two ago and I got a couple Trademark 60 Power Engines which are just sitting there because I don't gig or need them either.

I got rid of a handful of guitars and also bought a few this year. Didn't regret selling any of them and did regret buying a couple, but that's just a few hundred bucks lost rather than something I'll never see again.

I'm not on a elusive tone hunt. I have a Katana 100W 1x12 and I use two settings on it. I don't deep dive on effects even though I like that sort of thing theoretically, I don't find it to be a good use of time.

My big transition this year was getting my stereo looper set up into guitar and bass amps so I can capture ideas and jam with myself easily. And I also got back into recording tunes but I tend to burn out on that before I can get them whipped into final shape. So my satisfaction is in creating music, whether songs, arrangements, or just little riff ideas from the center of my mind. The gear is important but even the cheapest guitar I own (a Squier Strat) is pretty good and not an obstacle in that regard.

Tele-beeb likes this.

12. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Somewhere in Jellystone... a hard working and long-suffering ranger wakes up in a cold sweat from a recurring nightmare...

Tele-beeb, MilwMark and haggardfan1 like this.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've got an old Marshall 800 combo thats probably somewhat sellable and I havent used it in at least a couple of years. Thought about selling it but a friend who flips gear for profit, told me it was going to be valuable and collectible one day.

My issue with that was the problem of tubes in general, and werent a lot of players headed away from tubes, but he convinced me to keep it.

I only have one valuable guitar.

I've thought many times about selling it all and having a small stripped down but super hi quality set up...

but honestly, most of my stuff is far from booteek and I wouldnt get much money for most of it... probably not worth the trouble.

Tele-beeb likes this.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Con: The realization that I've been stupid all my life and bought all the wrong gear for all the wrong reasons. People have very similar feelings when they divorce. :(

Pro: I won't have $1,000 to lend my kid with no expectation of seeing it or the last uncounted thousands back. It's about time he (she) stood on his (her) own two feet anyway! :p

Tele-beeb likes this.

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Step One:
    Take three pedals to pawn.
    I wind up trading a DD3 for a new set of cheap wireless mics for small P.A. gigs.
    Win=Pro:
    $45 of unused gear. <
    $45 of will be used gear

Ricky D. likes this.

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Reducing clutter is a good thing. I downsized my guitars and am very happy about it.

Reboot? Nah. I know my gear preferences and I know my role in the band.

Challenging yourself with new songs and especially, new techniques is likely going to be more satisfying.

Tele-beeb likes this.

17. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I've tried, but usually I just start over and forget to sell all.

Tele-beeb likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.