Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pros & Cons of Sell All and Start Over

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'd wind up in five years with mostly the same stuff as I have now, but with the added benefit of taking a big loss on it because I sold it used and bought it again new. I'd also be out a couple of things that are hard to find now.

bgmacaw, Tele-beeb and haggardfan1 like this.
  2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    I'm in this boat, not with guitars and amps but with my PA.

I made a serious mistake about seven years ago, buying a rack full of stuff from a buddy of mine for next to nothing, then buying an old board to drive it.

For what I spent in total, I could have gotten a new mixer with effects, and even compressors, built in.

Now I could probably swing a new mixer; what on Earth am I going to do with all the stuff I have? Donate it to a church or something?

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    This is a fun idea. I'd get similar stuff to what I have now but with some differences. No gold hardware, that's for sure.

I'll operate under the premise that I'll still be in the same bands I am now. I would need some kind of hollow/semi-hollow for jazz and rockabilly/western swing. I'd probably look for something with P-90s and a bigsby to replace my current 335 style. For surf and ska I'd probably get another bigsby Tele and then maybe a jazzmaster for backup to replace my current bigsby cab. I'd still try to rock Fender amps.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Me too, but I kept my gear and got one of these, keyboard player loves it, opened up a whole new genre for us.

P_20181010_184345.jpg

Zeonoid, SolidSteak and Tele-beeb like this.
  5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    someday.....o_O really someday, I'm gonna sell it all off, give it away ,get rid of it all (it could happen , this time :rolleyes: )
    and take up the penny whistle.:p

Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have done that 3 times , everything gone!
    then a friend gave me a rack mount roland 12 chanel mixer a Reagun distortion pedal , some cables , and my studio got started all over again and now its huge and prgnant!

11 amps, 22guitars , tape machines, 10 mac computers 1 PC based guitar emulator etc 15 midi controllers 3 power amps 8 full functioning patch bays, 10 more 19 inch rack devices still to be entered into the system and all of the associated cabling, all of this after I sold every thing .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    At some point I read or heard or watched something (I think it was here) about how creativity mostly comes out of constraint.

People think, "if I get this thing it will open up new avenues for creativity," but it usually doesn't inspire creativity as much as if you are stuck with something and have to work around limitations to make it work.

Maybe just give yourself challenges? This month you can only play an electric acoustic through a flanger into a 10w Dean Markley practice amp. All lyrics you write must be in Ukrainian.

kookaburra and Tele-beeb like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If you're mainly into playing around with gear, and you have the cash, then go ahead. But maybe buy all the new stuff, play it all together for three months, THEN do the big sell off of what does / doesn't work?

If you're mainly into making music, then find a new set of people to play with and a new style to learn. I doubt you need new gear for that, but if you do then bammo there's your reason.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    did you ever hear of Brian Enos oblique stratigy cards? if not he created cards that when you start a recording , for instance you are not allowed to use cymbols on this recording , or all guitar tracks have to be acoustic, or play only the 3-5 of a chord on an electric guitar and the root on a bass , you get the picture

heres a description :

Oblique Strategies (subtitled Over One Hundred Worthwhile Dilemmas) is a card-based method for promoting creativity jointly created by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt, first published in 1975. Physically, it takes the form of a deck 7-by-9-centimetre (2.8 in × 3.5 in) printed cards in a black box. Each card offers a challenging constraint intended to help artists (particularly musicians) break creative blocks by encouraging lateral thinking.

In 1970, Peter Schmidt created "The Thoughts Behind the Thoughts", a box containing 55 sentences letterpress printed onto disused prints that accumulated in his studio, which is still in the possession of Eno. Eno, who had known Schmidt since the late 1960s, had been pursuing a similar project himself (which he had handwritten onto a number of bamboo cards and given the name "Oblique Strategies" in 1974). There was a significant overlap between the two projects, and so, in late 1974, Schmidt and Eno combined them into a single pack of cards and offered them for general sale. The set went through three limited edition printings before Schmidt suddenly died in early 1980, after which the card decks became rather rare and expensive. Sixteen years later software pioneer Peter Norton convinced Eno to let him create a fourth edition as Christmas gifts for his friends (not for sale, although they occasionally come up at auction). Eno's decision to revisit the cards and his collaboration with Norton in revising them is described in detail in his 1996 book A Year with Swollen Appendices. With public interest in the cards undiminished, in 2001 Eno once again produced a new set of Oblique Strategies cards. The number and content of the cards vary according to the edition. In May 2013 a limited edition of 500 boxes, in burgundy rather than black, was issued.

Each card contains a gnomic suggestion or remark which can be used to break a deadlock or dilemma situation. A few are specific to music composition; others are more general. For example:

Use an old idea.

State the problem in words as clearly as possible.

Only one element of each kind.

What would your closest friend do?

What to increase? What to reduce?

Are there sections? Consider transitions.

Try faking it!

Honour thy error as a hidden intention.

Ask your body.

Work at a different speed.

From the introduction to the 2001 edition:

These cards evolved from separate observations of the principles underlying what we were doing. Sometimes they were recognised in retrospect (intellect catching up with intuition), sometimes they were identified as they were happening, sometimes they were formulated.
    They can be used as a pack, or by drawing a single card from the shuffled pack when a dilemma occurs in a working situation. In this case the card is trusted even if its appropriateness is quite unclear...

thesamhill and Tele-beeb like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I'm too sentimental to sell it all, and even if I wasn't, I'd end up wanting to get new gear similar to the old ones,so might as well stay put.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I really don't see any "pros" in the conversation. You will lose money on everything that you have invested in, and then lose even more money when you begin the replacement process.
    Sit tight and re-evaluate where you are in your learning process.

Being bored with what you have is understandable, but probably more related to your perceived skill with your current equipment. That happens all the time. We've all been there, done that. You are thinking that you will sound better, play more, with a different guitar/amp combo.

Fact is, while you will sound different, you probably will not sound any better or commit to additional playing time. Sometimes that works out, but sometimes it does not. And there will always be that lost money to consider. And then the whole process will start over again.

Find some way to challenge yourself with what you have, particularly if you have nice stuff now and are really wanting to make yourself a better player. Good Luck with your decision.

By the way, I'm speaking from 60+ years of some good, some bad, decisions. Lots of trades, lots of regrets, but lots of great guitars and some really heavy amps. (I can't say I miss any of those 50+ pound amps.)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  12. Ragnar

Ragnar TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Illinois
    A couple of years ago, I started selling off equipment. I had 9 guitars, quite a few boutique amps, effects etc. I got it down to 2 guitars, one amp and a 8 effects pedals. Life was pretty good with the two guitars. I then changed out the pickups on my no. 1 Tele and instantly regretted it. Unfortunately, I had already sold the old pickups. I finally settled in on a set of Bare Knuckle Yard Birds and am very happy. Now, I really consider what is making me dissatisfied, is it me or my equipment? invariably, I settle in on "me" as the problem. I did have to go out and buy a 3rd guitar, a Taylor acoustic because I was getting calls to do more and more acoustic stuff. I am still trying to be as minimalist as possible with my live gear and my life.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    Keep the guitar you play the most. Also, keep the one you play the second most. Keep anything sentimental. Everything else is expendable. At least that's my guitar philosophy.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea of a synth for cool hooks in my funk band, but the learning curve seems very steep. Any recommendations for what would be easiest for a boneheaded guitar player like me?

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I am on that train too. A good older P.A., but, it’s so much work to secure gigs then set it up. I have considered selling parts of that, but, the possibility of a big gig and no big equipment would haunt me.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I hadn’t considered that one. Cool.

17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Insightful... and thought provoking.

thesamhill likes this.
  18. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I sold *some* of my gear... 10-15 years ago...

Bzzzzzzt!!! Wrong!

Now I just keep adding to the pile...

bgmacaw and Tele-beeb like this.
  19. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Hey Chris m... since I have few keyboard skills I’ll form an answer around that notion.
    I want one with the two wheels, pitch-bend and modulation? I also must have polyphonic capabilities. I hope to find one that will do the sequence stuff. I like the Korg stuff for function and affordability, but, I am out of my element.

20. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    I did sell my 1 guitar a long time ago, it was a 65 Firebird, might have been a better idea not to sell that but I wasn't playing and needed the money.

I will NOT sell my Teles.

Tele-beeb and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.