Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pros & Cons of Sell All and Start Over

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    What if you were mostly satisfied with your gear, so much so you were bored, or at best a lack-luster complacency sets in?
    Think-tank the Pros/Cons of a gear selloff and reboot.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Pro, you'll have all new gear. Con, you will have all new gear, and figure out after a while you really liked you old gear better, and to boot you sound the same as you always did.

3. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Minnesota
    Pro- It most likely will reinvigorate the seller. A new search will begin. It could be fun.
    Con- The seller buys new/different gear and is not satisfied. The seller gets really pissed off while trying to get that same feel and tone again. The seller sees the guitar that used to the favorite on CL. The guitar has been "modded" by some idiot with new pups aquired from a "buddy". The best guitar the seller ever owned is now a bona fide piece of crap. Depression sets in. The seller ends up in a padded cell.
    Just buy more gear. Keep the old stuff. Ya never know.

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Just wait until things tank, time and circumstances do it for you.

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Con: It's a buyer's market. Pro: it's a buyer's market.

6. NewKid

NewKid TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Seattle
    I rebooted from electric guitar to mandolin for two years after feeling as bored as the OP. Then last July I bought the American Special Tele model I sold with a new one in Daphne Blue. I learned to read music, chord construction, and lots of great classical songs with mandolin. Now I play my Tele with a fresh prespective, a greater understanding of music, and a greater appreciation of how awesome the Tele is.

If I could do it over again I would have never sold my American Special in the first place and just let it rest while I got my head straight.

cowie86 and Tele-beeb like this.
  7. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I did this over the last two years. I kept my amp and one guitar that had sentimental value, but everything else was sold. Im much happier with newer/ less vintagey guitars and gear.

Tele-beeb and NewKid like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Got a band? Got gigs? Some extrinsic challenge?

Not sure the gear is the heart of a feeling like that.

Con: It’s maybe not the gear at all you need to change.

Modman68, Gene O., MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Decluttering can be a great feeling. Keeping the very best items in your collection and then selling the rest
    might feel liberating. Then you could use that money to buy a few carefully selected items.

Rather than just buying more stuff for the guitar signal chain, you might consider other things you need
    to support music projects, especially if you're in a band. Recently I've bought a P.A., some more mics, some nice reference headphones for
    mixing down recordings, for example. I continue to get by with my Boss BR1600CD but have been tempted by
    more modern variants such as Zoom R24.

I've also bought an few interesting instructional books and DVDs that unfortunately I've barely had time to delve into...
    but I've picked up a few new tricks so it wasn't a total waste.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    In the early 90's I sold my very nice 1973 Strat for about $250. So, my rule now is no selling guitar gear that I didn't buy with the intention to flip. Well, maybe some of my cheapo effects pedals that I don't use/like but nothing else.

The other thing I do is a lot of modding and building (primarily cigar box guitars). That gives me a lot of new stuff to play with. I'm also starting to get into recording, MIDI and sampling again so that's another musical inspiration that keeps my guitars safe from "the purge".

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Likely true :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2015
    NE, Ohio
    First answer this question - are you bored with your gear or bored with yourself (your playing)?

I think you know where the answer will lead you.

Modman68, Wallo Tweed, Jim622 and 4 others like this.
  13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I play with a church group(s) so I stay real busy.
    Bored.
    Been wanting a synthesizer ;)

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I had a D-18 Martin for 44 years that pretty much handled all of my music needs for all the time I owned it. I traded it away one day which in turn touched of a sh*t storm of buying, selling, trading, and even giving away guitars and amps that I have yet to completely recover from. Be careful what you wish for.

haggardfan1 and Tele-beeb like this.
  15. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Me too!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    when it comes down to it..a Gibson into a Marshall dsl & 4x12 cab is all i really need to play everything i need to

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I got complacent and bored a number of years ago. I was burnt out on gigging and didn’t feel like playing much at all. Instead of selling off gear, I just put it away. I stored amps in closets, guitars under beds, etc. I didn’t touch them for at least a couple of years. Finally, a few melodies and riffs started going through my mind and I broke out the gear. The gear didn’t feel inadequate at all, and I wrote an ep worth of material within a short span, put a band together, and started gigging again.

In my experience, the inspiration isn’t in the gear. It’s in the music. Good luck!

Digital Larry, Tele-beeb and RLee77 like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm sorta in the OP's mindset right now.

I don't feel like I want to sell it all,but I do want to have another guitar and amp purge.

I'm at 50+ guitars and basses, along with 11 Fender, Boogie and Vox amps.

I kinda want to get down to at least 35 guitars and basses, and about 5 or 6 amps.

I know better that to move any of the GOOD gear.

I have enough extra fluff in my collection that I can move a bit without any regrets.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    You’ll miss what you sold and buy the same gear again. It’s you not the gear. Snap out of it!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  20. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2015
    NE, Ohio
    I can see selling off some gear, but not all then starting over.

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.