Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TigerG, Sep 1, 2017.
Looks amazing! Hope she sounds as good as she looks!
The Minwax wipe-on poly yellowed the Rustoleum Ocean Mist on the headstock enough to get it really darn close to the Surf Green on the body, albeit a shade lighter
What a cool rescue/revamp.
Man that neck has bitchin tiger striping.
I'm loving the surf green..
Surf Green! Yeah Baby!
I love the color too!!
Do I need to get some Hawaiian shirts to wear while playing this guitar?
Thats a LOOKER!
Finally finished the finish. Sanded to 2000 then polished, now time to start putting on parts.
Bridge goes first:
The neck is next, stay tuned.
All set to place the neck mounting screw holes
Screw holes drilled
The neck is on!
I thought that neck was beyond reclaiming, just beaten to death.
You have done an incredible job of turning it into a beautiful piece. Nice job.
Nice job! Great looker.
Thanks everybody. I hope to have the pickguard finished later on today.
And the saga continues:
Getting ready to cut the nut
Nut is done, strings go on
Then the bridge pickup:
Next, the pickguard,which was a bit of a challenge because the control plate placement on this body doesn't line up with the control plate cutout on a standard pickguard. I cut a practice guard out of an old vinyl LP to work out the placement, then went on ahead to the tort guard I had waiting in the wings for this process. I was able to get the control plate cutout placed just so that everything locks together like a jigsaw puzzle (and I also have a spare guard with the cool old Decca label that'll probably see duty on the body at some point):
Now for the neck pickup
The bridge pickup wasn't getting quite close enough to the strings so I made a little piece of abstract art to set under pickup ring and elevate it:
Very nice project!
Yes! She’s looking awesome!
Yep, looks quite nice now it's all coming together. I was a bit dubious for awhile.
Oh ye of little faith! Glad to hear you're becoming a convert.
Onto the final pieces...
Hard to get a good photo that does it justice. Had to use a flash on that last one, which makes it look bluer than it really is. Maybe I'll get a chance to take some shots in good light before too long.
After wiring it up, the bridge ground kept going out. After a number of rounds of lifting out the bridge pickup/ring to reposition the ground wire under the bridge to get a better connection, I wondered "is it a bad solder joint?" So this time I lifted the control plate and doh! found there wasn't even a solder connection at all--the wire was just hanging there not connected to anything, not even tinned. I had totally missed it--I'm not sure how the bridge had been showing continuity to ground, but it had, intermittently though it was.
The neck is much slimmer than I'm used to, so it's interesting to play. Width-wise, it's fine, but the slimness makes me feel like I'm playing a little kiddie guitar at times. It does make for a certain ease, and I love the ebony fretboard.
Pickup-wise, I'm starting out with a set of Lawrence Keystones.
Her name is Tannenbaum, cuz she's pretty as a Christmas tree.
I wanna turn it around and play it Jimi Hendrix style, but that control plate would be in the way.
Looking good Tiger.