Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Project" guitar is done and it turned out AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by brobar, Sep 5, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    So I have two different Classic Vibe teles. My 50's butterscotch blonde was so awesome out of the box I have decided to leave it bone stock. My 60's Custom was equally great, but it was missing something. I decided to turn it into a project guitar. So I went with all new internals, pots, switches, wires, etc... and installed an ObsidianWire Custom 4-way kit. I also replaced the stock pickups with a Cavalier Nashville Lion and Lion King set. Love those pups! All three standard positions are great but that 4th position with Neck and Bridge in Series just gives it a whole new dimension. I preferred the brass saddles that are on my 50's BSB so I installed a set on the 60's Custom but it lost some of that spank I like on the low E & A... so I replaced that saddle with an aluminum one which brought the spank back. It pairs well with the other two brass saddles. Getting the guitar used (though it was only a week old) allowed me to do all of those upgrades and come out about only $30 more than the price of the 60's Custom new so I'm very happy about that.

I had Daniel Silva of Crazy Heart Leather do a custom pickguard for me in memory of my daughter, Arya, who passed a little over 3 years ago at only 5 months old. She had an undetected heart defect known as dilated cardiomyopathy. Essentially her heart was three times the size of normal and ultimately gave out. I thought it was a great way to honor her memory and I'll be thinking of her every time I pick up this guitar and play it.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It sounds as good as it looks and it looks as good as it sounds.
    01_small.jpg

02_small.jpg

03_small.jpg
    04_small.jpg
    05_small.jpg That texture and detail is just sweet! He did such a great job!

2. jay_mci

jay_mci Tele-Meister

May 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Looks great I'm sure it sounds just as good.

brobar likes this.

3. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Wow that looks really nice! I bet it sounds good too.

brobar likes this.

4. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That guitar is gorgeous and the tribute to your daughter is very touching. What a wonderful idea!

brobar likes this.

5. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

WOW! That is beautiful.

brobar likes this.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome guitar! Sorry about your daughter's passing--a very nice tribute.

brobar likes this.

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It really came out perfect.

brobar likes this.

9. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Looks fantastic, and is a great tribute.

brobar likes this.

10. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Beautiful work on that pickguard!
    Really goes with that tele.
    And with Rob's pickups in it?? You're all set!
    NICE project!

brobar likes this.

11. Telecentric

Telecentric TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    Looks awesome!

Just wondering about the E/A saddle. Any reason it is different?

brobar likes this.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone!

Yeah. I preferred the brass saddles that are on my 50's CV BSB so I swapped the steel saddles on this one with a set of compensated brass ones. It made the difference I wanted and cut back some of that sterile brightness I was getting with the steel. Brought in some nice warm(er) tone, but in the process it lost a lot of that spank I like on the lower E-A strings. It warmed them up TOO much. So I replaced that brass saddle with an aluminum compensated one and it brought back much of that snap that went missing with the brass. So it is kind of the best of both worlds. I get a noticeably warmer tone on the other 4 strings, but the aluminum saddle brings some of the brightness back on the E-A so they don't get too muddy. They all pair nicely and play well together.

Blue Bill and Telecentric like this.

13. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    A lovely tribute. It looks great too. The size, color, and angle of the heart and wings are perfect.

brobar likes this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks all. I normally keep my electrics in a case and then I have a wall of acoustics. The Mrs likes it so much she says "it's too pretty to keep in a case... will you please put it up on the wall so I can see it?" Of course I will.

That guard just goes so well with the sunburst and that dark rosewood fretboard. Now that it is displayed in the open, I find myself stopping and admiring it and thinking of my little Punks when I walk down through the hall.

kidmeatball, RoyBGood and ndeli55 like this.

16. richtone

richtone TDPRI Member

Gorgeous! The pickguard is stunning, what a beautiful tribute to your daughter.

brobar likes this.

17. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    That's the most beautiful sunburst guitar I've ever seen! The colours in that pickguard (which is stunning by itself!) really sets off the rest and completes the whole thing perfectly. I like a black pickguard with sunburst but always thought they were missing something. Yours definitely isn't missing anything!

Like @richtone said, a beautiful tribute to your daughter, and I'm sure one you will treasure for the foreseeable future.

Nice job :)

richtone and brobar like this.

18. o'Romany

o'Romany TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Pinchetel
    Woah! That pick guard is brilliant, having worked in palliative care (inc. paediatrics) for more years than I care to think about all I can say is what a lovely, lovely tribute to your daughter. Top job. Can fully understand why your wife wants it on the wall and rightly so, you are right to be properly proud of yourself.

I also have a CVC that I've swapped p/ups (Oil City), all electrics, Kluson tuners, new pick guard, aluminium E/A, brass saddles the rest, like yourself, and I fully agree, what a guitar.

One's demise is inevitable but unknown, therefore have told both of my sons who's getting which guitar once I expire, they're happy, the youngest gets the CVC Tele, the oldest the JV Strat. It's good to know that they'll have a part of me to hang on the wall/flog in the need of quick cash to get out of a corner...

Top respect for your memorial to your daughter.

brobar likes this.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I love it when something like this finally works out so well. That is a stunner.

brobar likes this.

20. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    That pickguard is absolutely beautiful, a great tribute.

brobar likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.