Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Problems with Oak Grigsby Switch...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bob M, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    After some research I determined that I needed to try a 4 way switching set up on my Tele. No problem. I'm reasonably good at soldering and have wired and re-wired many guitars. I add the ground wire to the neck pick up cover and wire it up per the standard 4 way switching mod. I got nothing. I went to move the switch to another position and it seemed stuck. I applied a little more pressure and heard a snap and noticed a lug fell of the switch rendering it useless. It seemed like a cheaper component than the CRL 3 way switch it replaced and I wondering if others have experienced this as well. I'm still interested in the 4 way mod so any suggestions on switches would be appreciated.

2. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I've had no problems with my 4 way, but it was only recently installed. Maybe you just got a bad one.

3. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2013
    Carlisle, UK
    I had one that seemed to collapse internally after a couple of weeks. Replaced it with a Fender spare part which has been fine for over a year. Both were 4 way.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    If you use too much solder then some can run down from the lugs and block the contacts so the switch gets jammed. Before I re-solder on these I always solder-suck the lugs to remove any existing solder.

Johnson johnson likes this.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Deaf Eddie has a mod using a 3 way and a push/pull. This way you can use a CRL switch. I prefer the CRL too.

It will activate the series position no matter where you're at on the 3 way.

The OG 4 way I received had a bent contact, that was fun until I realized that.

Rob@Cavalier Pickups made me a nice Bourns no-load p/p.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

You can solder to where the lug broke off, but would need a picture to be sure ;)

7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Thanks for the replies. I chucked it out. For the money it was too much hassle to return it and I just don't keep parts that don't work-unless there is something useful to strip out. I'll try the Fender 4 way which mechanically looks to be a CRL switch. It amazes me that these little parts should vary so much in quality.

8. SPUDCASTER

OG and CRL are made by the same company.

I think the Fender switch is an OG. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think CRL makes a 4 way.

9. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Yes, "Electroswitch".

10. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    While both brands are owned by Electroswitch, I'm not sure where the Oaks are actually manufactured these days. CRL are still stamped "made in USA" but the Fender 4-way switches have "Made in Mexico" on the packaging.
    I sell a bunch of Oaks, far more than CRL, and have never had a dodgy switch or one returned.

11. SPUDCASTER

Just lucky I guess. I know that I won't buy another one. The OG still cuts out on occasion.

They just feel too flimsy compared to the CRL's. YMMV:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.