Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Problem inserting tubes in 9-pin sockets

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by schoolie, May 3, 2012.

1. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Well, I finally have my 5f6a built, but I ran into an unexpected problem. I can't get the preamp and PI tubes in the sockets. I've applied moderate force, but I don't want a glass tube shattering in my hands. These are Belton sockets, by the way. I really tried not to let solder flow where it shouldn't, and I soldered the connections with the sockets oriented horizontally. Is it possible that these sockets are super tight or do you think solder has mucked them up? The holes are too small to see what is going on. I just bought some noval socket savers and I'm hoping that I can force those into the socket to loosen it up.

Does anybody have any tricks or tips? I don't relish the thought of replacing those sockets!

Thanks!

2. RocketshipChair

RocketshipChair Tele-Meister

Rock the tubes around in a circular motion as you try to insert them into the socket. I highly doubt that you got solder in the sockets, as on much sockets its impossible. You might be able to get dental pick or something similar if you need to widen the sockets.

3. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Thanks, RocketshipChair! I'll keep trying.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

also make sure that you don't have a bent pin. even if it's out of alignment just a little with the hole it can be a PITA. it also depends on what type of socket you have. the porcelain ones i find can be a little more of a problem if a pin isn't aligned right.

and just remember, once you get it in there it's probably not going to fall out anytime soon :mrgreen:

6. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Success! I turned over the chassis, so the sockets were upside down. Then I inserted my soldering iron with a sharp conical tip into each hole, with copper wicking. Eventually, I was able to get all my sockets working. Thanks!

7. RocketshipChair

Cool. Glad to hear you've got it working. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I fix amps for a living.

8. RocketshipChair

+1

Bent pins on a tube can be a real pain. Esspecially on 9 pins. I wish tube pin straighteners weren't so darn hard to come by.

9. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

Thank you, sir!

10. Wally

Wally Telefied

This is an excellent lesson on how not to solder. Too much solder is never a good thing. Kudos on straightening things out, schoolie, and I bet thsi is a lesson you won't forget. Too much monkey business to straighten out, right?

11. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

I definitely learned many good lessons on my first build, Wally;) Build #2 is going to go much easier!

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.