Pro tube Twin 2006

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Erdowonge, May 26, 2019.

1. Erdowonge

Erdowonge TDPRI Member

I got this massive 100/25 watt Twin. Even on low power its bloody loud. I`ve put a 12av7 that i had in the draw in v1 so i can turn it up more and get the power tubes working. On this amp you cant adjust the impedance .It`s set at 4 ohm.I want to ask if i pull 2 of the 6l6`s to further decrease the volume ,will it damage the amp ?
    I bought it cos it was cheap and i had a non tremelo version 5 years ago so i knew what a good clean sound it had and the distortion is decent too but it is frigheningly loud

IMG_20190526_232055.jpg

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Nice amp !!! I wouldn't touch a thing .... You just need a bigger room ...

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unless you're in a really, really, really big club or an outdoor gig you'll never "get the power tubes working" on this or any Twin. They're designed to sound about the same with volume on 1 or 10.

At home, 25 Watts won't get natural overdrive without damaging you. At 100 Watts you'll go deaf and you might as well call the politie, yourself, before the neighbors do.

The basic Twin circuit is meant to be clean. It has a bedroom-filling, beautiful clean with the volume on 1. You can use a pedal for dirt if that's your aim. Yours has a "drive" channel with a gain control. That may or may not sound good to you, but it's there to try.

I don't think pulling 2 output tubes will achieve your goal. Use the gain control on channel 2 or get an overdrive pedal.

I happen to like how a Twin sounds at home levels.

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Yes, I agree, I use an overdrive pedal with all my Fender amps. A Tubescreamer is a good start.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.