Printable guitar template PDF?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by iansmitchell, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2009
    Ireland
    Does anyone have a pdf for a strat neck or for a strat headstock with the nut in it??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    which post above was the middle one from? Did I miss a post?

the one I posted looks like this over Terry's call outs
    [​IMG]

moving the control route back keeps the plate from crowding the edge.

3. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Pécs, Baranya - Hungary
    Exactly my point, it wouldnt look right with the plate moved back, just awkward.
    Overlayed on the LP (not the junior) it looks much better, plus, the plate can be moved up like an 8th or 16th of an inch instead of moved back wich does look better imho (the imperative here is IMHO not anybody elses HO).
    I'd say the middle one in my uploaded file has a big ole butt, the one on the left.. looks, well petit and (dare i say) sexy?

It's just my look upon things, no biggy... it's going to be my templates anyway's

N.b i included the PDF file we used to make the files for the CNC with and wich ended up being "big" if you lay terry's tele upon it, it becomes the les paul jr. in the middle of the three body picture.
    Also it did not "flow" very well, so using it was out, we used a standard file for a LP to make the files for the CNC wich now is the Lp on the right...
    Also, the jack channel is proper sized on that one.

[​IMG]

cheers,

Attached Files:

4. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/174230-stratocaster-headstock.html#post1991520

the problem I'm having with posting them all is that the file gets too big to upload when type is added... they're not labeled because of that. See the post a few down for what's what.

the nuts are on all of them... the widths vary, but you can smooth to fit.

edit to add that most of the teles were drawn with a .120 thickness, most of the strats are drawn with a .125 thick nut.

5. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    where did you get that "junior" outline? it looks huge.

you said you got it from a post in this thread?

6. olaftheholy

Mar 25, 2009
    Pécs, Baranya - Hungary
    Look three posts up, i included the pdf file...
    it definately came from tdpri

7. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    ah, so not from this thread.

the pdf you posted apparently had a problem in conversion

the string spacing is 2.32445" when it should be 2.125... nearly a 10% difference.

it's 14.23" across the hips.

8. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2009
    Ireland
    Thanks casual reader!
    Exactly what I was looking for!

9. olaftheholy

Mar 25, 2009
    Pécs, Baranya - Hungary
    it's from the thread TAIPAN posted about his lp junior build.. there were several PDF files

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/95003-taipan-pinemart-taipan-model.html

it was actually Jaydawg's pdf file

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...ipan-pinemart-taipan-model-2.html#post1088660

10. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd imagine Jaydawg used the original cad file for his great lookin' gold top build and had no reason to suspect the cad to pdf conversion would be off in scale.

I'd also imagine he smoothed out those rough lines when making the template - shaped to fit the eye.

those double cut juniors he posted above are fantastic.

11. kyle1167

kyle1167 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2006
    Iowa
    Great thread alot of info here.

12. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2006
    York, ME
    Yup, I used the cad file. Not sure what happened in the conversion?:confused:

13. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    it could be the program itself... the programmers might not have taken postscript seriously. As I said, you had no reason to suspect.

Me? I had an expensive incident or two with large format film plotters that taught me not to trust any conversion until it's proven itself. It's the same old "measure twice, cut once" in a different arena.

14. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2008
    Brunswick, Maine
    "large format plotters" made me chuckle. Bad memories of an HP Draftmaster Pro and trying to clean pens. Ugh! Picture a metal ultrasonic cleaner with metal pen tips rattling around. Don't miss that at all.

15. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Fender headstocks:

I finally found where to turn off the font inclusion so the pdf file would come in under 175k and upload here... made it with a few k to spare.

The file has all the fender headstocks I could find - tele - strat - jazzmaster - etc...

It also has Ed Hawley's CCM'd headstock from the CAD neck files he uploaded in one of the CNC build threads. It's interesting to see a real 60's headstock next to the current "60's" headstock.

It's also interesting to see the change in tuner spacing. The last few pages has them side by side for comparison. Note the center of the first tuner (the low e) went from exactly 1.685" from the front edge of the nut to exactly 1.65. The same measurement on the shorter scale jaguar is 1.625 ...all familiar numbers.

Speaking of nut widths, I half expected the tuner positions to change along with nut width, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In relation to the center of the front edge of the nut, they were almost all identical. The exceptions are shown, though I'm still not sure why they are exceptions.

A change - Ed's exacting measurements of the '67 has the tuner holes as .945 center to center and the current fender pdfs have them at roughly .961 - giving more of a gap. Why? I can only speculate. Perhaps the tolerances on the stampings were such that they were wasting assembly time and throwing too many away, or perhaps they needed more room for slightly larger screws that wouldn't break off in the hard maple as easily. Who knows?

Attached Files:

16. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2006
    York, ME
    WOW, very cool!

17. Marc Rutters

Marc Rutters Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

That post made my day!

18. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Casual_Reader - that's awesome!! Made my week!

19. JohnPurdy

JohnPurdy Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Very cool, great post.

20. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Casual Reader ......... that is most excellent .........Good job ....[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.