Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Printable guitar template PDF?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by iansmitchell, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Anybody have one that's accurate and free?
    Strat and tele, but any and all other designs as well.

2. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
  3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I don't think it's just a matter of converting a Jpeg drawing into a PDF. I think the PDF needs to be created to actual size.

6. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

I want actual size, yeah

7. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Tonight - Fun with Fender blueprints:

Cool... numbers I can read... should be easy enough to reproduce...
    [​IMG]

uhmmm...
    [​IMG]

ok, so some tangents aren't exactly tangents

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. I reminded myself of this as I checked, and checked again and again.

I've seen two versions of the same 62 RI - they're both the same in this control pocket area.

8. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    ...moving the outer circle/arc further out by 7/64ths created a tangent between the two.

With normal disclaimers, here's a drawing based on two different jpgs of 62 RI blueprints... both posted for reference. Apparently, at least one of them was scanned from a book.

One PDF is full size (front and back) on two 15.5 x 20.5 pages.... the other is split on 8 letter size pages that can be spliced together. Both have borders made of 1" x .25" blocks that can be used to verify it's printing correctly in both directions... not compressing.

corrections and criticism welcome.

also for reference:

a Ron Kirn strat build:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

a couple of Preeb's strat builds:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/148966-1955-stratocaster-build.html
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/153764-1961-stratocaster-build.html

Attached Files:

No Solution likes this.
  9. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Thank you for the PDF's!

10. squierkid

squierkid TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2008
    PuertoRico
    I find this really interesting( i printed one right away) are there other desings aswell?

11. crispy king

crispy king Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2008
    North East UK
    Those PDFs are brilliant. Well done.

Would it be too much to ask for cavity depths to be marked?
    And maybe the belly cut too.

12. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I did try including the blueprint scans in the PDF, but the resulting file exceeded the forum's size limit for uploading.

You can click on the scans and save them to disk. Between the 2, you should be able to read the numbers you're wanting.

If you need a good pic viewer / editor that will let you zoom in like you can in a PDF, try irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/

If you install it, pay close attention to the install window when it asks for file associations and use the "images only" option.

13. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    This is great if you want to build a reissue of a 1962 reissue Strat...
    You'll be amazed how off the reissue is from the originals...
    I'll try to copy my correct strat body templates to files... not sure how to do it though... We'll see. If successfull, I'll post it here.

14. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd believe it.

If you can scan it and give reference measurements, I can convert it to lines.

It'll no doubt be a huge file / files... outside email addy in my profile.

15. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Bolt on LPJr / Tele...

first off, if you want one of these, do yourself a favor and check to see if guitarbuilder / pinemart has a spare one hanging around.

If you're determined to do one from scratch, here's a drawing... actually, 4.
    There are no call outs, but Terry Down's rev D Telecaster linked above can be used as a reference.

I found this on the web:
    [​IMG]
    and worked this up:
    [​IMG]

If you download the PDF, watch the back strap button area and the upper bout as you flip through pages 2 through 5.

The flatter butt end is more LP than LPJr... as the shrinking upper bout is more LP than LPJr.... it's your project, sand the template down to whatever shape you prefer.

Note - a 22 fret neck with overhanging fingerboard is probably the best bet.

(I had to lighten page 1 of the above images to get the file to upload)

Attached Files:

16. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Great stuff guys! Thank you.

17. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2008
    follow the buzzards
    if anyone has any info (blueprints) on one of these i sure could use it, a friend wants one, I'd like to build one but I got nothing, i think it's a 57 or 58? maybe:cool:

[​IMG]

18. 9-Pin-Phoenix

9-Pin-Phoenix TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Tri-Cities, WA
    I have seen a couple of places that sell plans for $15 a pop, but I haven't found any for free, yet.

I'd be interested as well if someone else has seen one around.

19. squierkid

squierkid TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2008
    PuertoRico
    man i tried searching alot on pdf and there are really phew, i only found the one of terry music and its not actual size. Can someone make it actual size? I think the pdf writer is needed( im slow on computer stuff:()

20. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    the double cut LP Jr?

I have it converted, but it's too large a file to upload - pm with email addy if you want it sent to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.