Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Princeton Reverb in the cold

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markod, Nov 9, 2017.

1. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    When gigging, I always bring a back up amp with me, in this case PRRI. Tomorrow night, very little room. Band almost on top of each other. No room for the back up. Is it wise to keep my back up in the car when it is 20 degrees outside? For about 5 hours?
    I don't know what impact that would have on tubes and speaker.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    None at all. As long as it's not damp in the car and you let the amp warm a little longer on standby.

Biggest threat is someone smashing a window and breaking in to get it.

Jakedog likes this.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    How about just stacking it under the amp you're using? Vertical space, not floor space that way.

Jakedog likes this.

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    You might get a little condensation in your backup amp if it's that cold when it's brought in. Aside from that, it shouldn't care much.

I like the stacking idea. Or, maybe stash it with a friend at the venue.

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    If it were me at my place...

I would pull my car into the garage, then let the amp sit there to "acclimate", then the basement, then into the house. Wait - that's waaaaaay overkill.

I would let any amp coming from outside sit inside for a few hours before plugging it in. I might also turn on a ceiling fan to keep some air circulating so any condensation dries out.

jimash and RadioFM74 like this.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Spray Deoxit on a cotton swab and work it in the jacks of the amp now and then, helps over time with temp changes and moisture .

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    It's been said... I'll say it again.
    No problem leaving it in the vehicle... the cold will not hurt the amp.

But if you need it, you should let it warm up before you start using it. My main concern would be the tubes going from -20 to full heat in a matter of moments.

If it were me... I would make a place for it inside.

jimash likes this.

8. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the input. Stacking was my first thought, just worried a bit about stability. Stacked them last night and was a bit wobbly!

9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I just pictured a giant stack of Princeton's and it made me laugh.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have told his story before, but it applies here, so...

I had a REALLY small house for about seven years. No basement, no room for gear. About 1000 sf for the whole family and all of our stuff.

So my amp never once came in the house in that time. At that time, I used a hot rod Deluxe. It spent about six years either in my trunk, or on a stage. I played almost every day. All through the extreme winters and wet summers here in Cleveland.

One time, I meant to bring it in the house. I carried up to the back door, set it down at 3am so I could unlock the door, walked in the house and totally forgot about it. I was exhausted. It sat out there for two days in a snow storm. It had the cover on it, but still.

Brushed it off, went to the gig, fired it up. It was fine. Never seemed to care one bit about cold. Or hot and damp.

The guy I sold it to ten years ago is still using it.

codamedia and GGardner like this.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Living in northern Minnesota here's what I do when I haul an amp in from sub zero weather.
    I plug it in and play it.

Jakedog and codamedia like this.

12. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    As has been said, you can leave it in the car , I do, but if you then need it you'd have to baby it a bit up to temperature.
    Just leaving it in the car and bringing it home later., Just leave it uncovered in a not too hot area of the house, overnight, to de-condensate.

13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    As someone else mentioned, I'd be paranoid to leave valued gear unattended in a car.

14. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Thanks all for the responses. As usual, no back up was needed tonight so leaving the PRRI at home (safe and snug) worked out just fine!

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.