Princeton Reverb 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mark the Moose, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Planning a build for this summer! Thinking Princeton Reverb with upgraded Allen transformers and a 2x10 cab. Now I know many purists will say that underpowered trannies and a 1x10 are what give a PR its charm, but I'm wondering if any of you have built or upgraded your PR to something along these lines and what the outcome was like.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a prri that was put into a head then runs through a 2x12 cab. I am not as knowledgeable and experienced with amps as most are here, so all I can tell you is I think it sounds great.it loves any guitar. certainly not "boxy" sounding at all. a 2x10 would surely sound very fine.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not what you're asking, I know, but I had a 1964 Princeton (non reverb) that I put a 12" Jensen in.....and it sounded wonderful.

4. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

Last year I built a 2 10" open back combo cab to fit a Princeton reverb chassis (18.375" wide cutout). Eminence 1058-alike speakers. Surprisingly light weight and sounds good.

I haven't listened to it with any 15ish watt amp yet, only a 5ish W and a 2ish W (both built in PR chassis).

Go for it. If you like the sound of a PR you likely can't lose, unless the combo's weight or dimensions pass your personal threshold for too much. I haven't developed an opinion on OT contributions to sound. I fully support PTs that can actually handle the circuit. Good luck

Dismalhead and thunderbyrd like this.
  5. Mark the Moose

I suppose my gleeful hope is that it will put me in the neighborhood of a lower wattage vibroverb/vibrolux reverb.

Dismalhead likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use my SCX2 combo as a head, sometimes, and aside from the SS preamp it's 99% Princeton. Run through my Tremolux 2 x 10" cab with the back removed, it's got a surprisingly large, open, room-filling tone.

I'd say that you can't go rong with your idea, but... yes you can go rong.

If I were me, I'd use the stock transformers to start with, just as a baseline to see how it sounded. If you go with Allen transformers, choose wisely from the different models. You can 'improve' a Princeton too much and end up losing some of the characteristics you want to retain.

7. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

IMG_2777.JPG
    edit: new photo because distortion in the previous one made the grill cloth look more crooked than it is. TDPRI Shock Brothers is a proud institution:p
    IMG_2768.JPG
    Recycled pine, plywood, back doors, and grill cloth. So you could make something considerably better looking, but here's the basic shape.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  8. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The phase inverter is a big part of the Princeton sound. Bigger transformers usually mostly sound like a bigger Princeton. Like using two of them.

9. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Id probably just go for a head + cab configuration in the event you ever want to sell that amp down the road.

Selling a 2x10 combo that only fits a Princeton chassis is a pretty esoteric thing. Selling a 2x10 cabinet isnt too tough.

And I think you get a bit more utility/ease of use out of the amp going with a head.

10. Mark the Moose

Probably wise.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

DO IT!!
    I'm gonna put mine in a 4x10 one day.
    Really.

Dismalhead likes this.
  12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Well, just talkin Princeton mods... I did the 12" thing with a C12N. Nice!
    IMG_20190401_153806.jpg

Got a 5F1 coming so might do a Champ 10" next.

13. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

I tried several times to get a smaller version of a Vibrolux Reverb using a Princeton Reverb chassis and circuit as a starting point. It never worked. What did work is a 2x10 Deluxe Reverb using the lower voltage winding of an Allen TP25. Yep, the result sounds like a lower wattage Vibrolux Reverb!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mark the Moose

That's a sweet amp. How do you like the trem?

15. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I just finished a PR build with Hammond transformers. 100mA PT 290AX, 15 OT 1750E, and 5u4 rectifier. All new JJ's and 12" Cannabis Rex. Best sounding amp I've built or played I think. It didn't break up with single coils until 8 on the dial. Added a NFB switch that ended up kinda like a bright switch. Added a lot of top end, but worked great with the CRex. Headroom didn't change much til after 6 or so, just brighter and louder. That transformer set kept it as clean as I could ask for at vintage levels. Turned out great! Legend 1258 sounded amazing, but too bright with treble past 5 or so

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Ok, that is f'ing rad. Would love to hear more. Like, what's the head room compared to a stock DRRI?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

17. Bob Arbogast

I like the trem a lot, though in this case it's a bias-vary trem, same as on a Princeton Reverb.

18. Bob Arbogast

I've never played a DRRI (or a Deluxe Reverb of any kind, for that matter!), so I can't compare. To my ear this amp has about the same headroom as a Princeton Reverb, maybe a bit more. But the voice is closer to a Vibrolux.

For the techie types: with the TP25 lower voltage winding and a solid state rectifier, I have a B+ of 375V (with 122Vac on the line). I'm guessing that set up like this it's maybe a 15W amp.

I've thought about trying the higher voltage winding for standard DR voltages, but for the paces I tend to play I don't need the extra volume/headroom.

19. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Thanks. Did you find it for sale somewhere or do it/have it done yourself?

Anything different (that you know of from a stock DRRI)? I'm assuming there would have to have been some other components swapped out, but I don't quite have the tech knowledge to hazard a guess as to what.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

20. Mark the Moose

Now you're talkin'! If I could figure out a DR with a bias vary and 2x10's that would be a perfect amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.