Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Princeton alternatives

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by etype, Aug 20, 2015.

1. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    sorry my idea overlapped your post - best wishes with your purchase and look forward to hearing your review

2. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    No worries. It is a good suggestion. The Princeton 69 Custom at my local GC still has a non-functioning reverb and one of the knobs is now off (rotated) by about 60 degrees. It is weird. Not a big confidence booster.

At least you didn't say that because my preferences don't match yours, I must be an idiot, LOL.

3. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Got an email with UPS tracking info today. Gries 5 should arrive on Thursday.

Because it takes either a 6L6 or a 6V6 I asked Dave to sell me a 6L6 so I could compare. He thought the 6L6 would be closer to 8 watts while the 6V6 is 5. Here was his response. I decided to skip the 6L6 for now.

"I tried an experiment with your amp. I set up a signal generator going into the amp, set it to 1K hz., and put a SPL meter about a yard away. With the 6V6 I recorded a level of 95.6 dB. Swapped in the 6L6 and the reading was 96.1 dB. That's barely noticeable if at all. I never thought it was much of a difference but now I know it isn't. This is only with this amp at one frequency and one volume setting so it's not safe to extrapolate too much from this. So I'm happy to sell you a 6L6 but I really want to say, 'Why bother?' "

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well if it doesn't work out get you a lil' Mo.

[​IMG]

5. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    To get the most out of a 6L6 it needs higher B+ voltage than a 6V6 and more current output from the power transformer. But if you build the amp with a bigger power tranny then the 6V6 loses a lot of voltage sag so it sounds stiffer and punchier with a noticeably tighter low end (sounds more solid state and less tubey).

Same thing with the output transformer. It needs a higher current rating so it won't just saturate at 6V6 levels (more 6L6 output current = more saturation and compression with no more volume). But with a bigger tranny a 6V6 loses it's compression and sounds more dynamic and solid state.

If the amp has a multi-tap output transformer (and all amps designed to run 6V6 and 6L6 should have them) most of the output tranny impedance mismatch can be handled by using a one step higher speaker impedance setting -- if the amp is designed for 6V6 then set the impedance selector to 16 ohms with an 8 ohm speaker.

At a 6V6 compatible B+ voltage a 6L6 will benefit from a hotter bias from a smaller value cathode resistor.

The main reason to run a 6L6 is to get a slightly different clean and overdrive tone, that is if the amp can actually drive the 6L6 into overdrive because a 6L6 can take a higher grid voltage before distorting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

6. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas

Cool. Thanks! I wish I had taken a couple EE classes in college.

7. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    NAD!!! I spent about 45 minutes just finding different tones. I can find everything my AC4 can do, except I cannot seem to dial in the Vox shimmer.Oh, but it has a lot of tones my little Vox cannot touch.

[​IMG]

8. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

It's funny, after reviewing this thread I am more and more surprised how cheap vintage Super Reverb and Twin Reverbs are. For example, I got a completely cherry '72 SR, black-faced, new electrolytics, new footswitch, everything gone through and dialed-in, original CTS speakers, for $900 cash. That was a deal, but you see them for $1,100 or less all the time. And in my opinion it sounds great clean at bedroom volumes, and with a pedal can also sound glorious dirty at "bedroom volumes". (I live in a house so I can turn it up a bit-- not like I live in an apartment sharing walls with neighbors).

Given the cost of these really nice but small amps, unless you have to carry it on the subway or have a bad back it makes me think going with a big old classic amp makes way more sense. You never have to worry about having enough clean headroom, that's for sure!

9. billco

billco TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2008
    USA

If I may be excused for bringing up an old thread, this topic is exactly what I was searching an answer to. With the PRRI volume set at "2ish", are you guys saying to push the treble/bass controls to 9-10 and adjust to taste from there. Or is that too high of a settings? I am having difficulty getting the bass and treble strings to balance out at that low of a low volume. Thanks in advance!

10. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Use your ears for the exact settings, but generally with all BF/SF amps, volume up, EQ down. Volume down, EQ up.

11. billco

billco TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2008
    USA

That's mirrors what the others were saying. I don't seem to be able hear much difference fiddling with the bass knob, I do, however, hear a big difference adjusting the treble. Thanks!

12. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    IME you're more likely to hear the bass as a "problem" if you have it set high, at higher volume. It'll get farty.

I know this is off-topic, and not asked for, but here goes....

I only play at home, and I love my BF/SF amps, from Princeton, to Twin. I can make them sound very good even at low volumes, definitely. But they sound even better -- even more like themselves, richer -- playing through my Wampler Black '65 pedal. I have it nearly always ON, with gain set to zero. Icing on the cake, it's got TMB EQ to dial it in even more. The gain is really nice, too, but I use it no-gain for adding dimension to these great amps at household levels. YMMV.

13. billco

billco TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2008
    USA
    Thanks, moosie! Much appreciated. :)

14. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    So I bought the Gries because it has the Tweed/Blackpanel options (TMB tone stack and Gain to dial out that tone stack). Funny thing is that I have been playing it with the gain all the way up (which completely takes out the tone stack). It just sounds best with essentially one knob.... volume. Looking at it that way, I got a great deal on a Victoria 5112!

15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    This is why I'm such a big fan of "raw" controls or switches in any amp with a TMB tone stack. Flip the switch, remove the tone stack and let all that glorious guitar tone through the amp. Use the guitar's tone and volume control as "amp remote controls" and enjoy life.

It's amazing what the addition of a tiny little SPST ON/OFF mini-switch can do for an amp.

16. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    A bit late, but I have a 5W Star Nova 6V6 handwired by Mark Samson. You can find a used one for less than $1K if you look around. Google the reviews. I believe Joe Walsh uses one for recording, among others. Arguably the best tone of any 5W amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.