Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Princeton alternatives

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by etype, Aug 20, 2015.

1. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    LOL, I have already seen (and loved) that clip. I am sort of leaning toward the Allen Chihuahua right now because I really like the reverb on Princetons and if I am going to use it 90% of the time, it seems easier to have it built in. From my communications with David (Allen), new Chihuahua face plated will just say "Raw" rather than "Middle/Raw." I asked for clarification, but the impression I get is that nothing in the electronics has changed, and that the "Raw" is the same bypassing of the tone stack as the Gries 5 "Gain." So the Chihuahua substitutes the reverb for the Gries 5 "Middle." It also seems clear that he believes that with a master volume you can get any sound the amp will make down to any level without any loss of tone (there is some debate on the Internet). It also seems he thinks the 6L6 is the best tube for the amp and that with the MV, there is no reason for the 6V6.

I did ask Dave Gries about a SeaHorse (Gries with Reverb) and he said he no longer makes those.

I shared a few PMs with MuchXS and I still am loving the idea of working with him. It looks like the Morpheus II is pretty slick, but does not have MV or Reverb. In trying to figure out a way to essentially get him to make me a Chihuahua (I considered getting a '82-'85 Super Champ or Princeton II for him to mod, but clean ones are $700-$1000), it may largely comes down to it just being easier to get the Chihuahua.

2. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I cannot tell you how easy it would me to jump in to this as a new hobby, but I just don't have the time...yet.

Oh, mine is a '67 and was inherited from my dad who bought it in 1982. Same color as my Jazzcaster... on purpose.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Allen kits are a great way to save money if you're DIY-inclined, but don't want to go neck deep. Instructions and materials list are high quality, and very complete. I built my Encore in a few evenings, and aside from troubleshooting a bad reverb tank (which David promptly replaced), it worked perfectly. It sounds fantastic, and is so quiet I keep thinking it's not on. There is no resale value, but that doesn't bother me.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Muchxs could always offer up one of his low buck reworked solid state combo Morph's. I was shocked when he told me how cheap he lets them go for. Ask him about the option of building a big Morph with reverb in an old G20 amp chassis and cab. Ugly, but it'll never get stollen!

5. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Looks like the Chihuahua middle/raw has been fundamentally changed. I got the sense that too many buyers were complaining about treble and bass knobs not doing much when the middle/raw knob was set higher. Of course, what they didn't understand was that in the raw range, the tone stack was being pulled out of the circuit. So now the tone stack is like a Fender BF T/B stack and the Raw simply allows you to bypass the tone stack.

6. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Ok, I cannot afford this ($780 for the cabinet), but I REALLY like it.

[​IMG]

7. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    So I want to ask if this color combo is possible. Is it ivory and old style Fender brown grill cloth?

[​IMG]

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here's mine. The grill cloth is 'oxblood', and I believe the tolex is 'cream'. The tolex has a brown tint in the photo, but looks whiter (creamier) in person.

[​IMG]

9. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    That is awesome! Thanks!

10. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Sep 18, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Here's my VSA Princeton. AMAZING. I want to change the chickenhead knobs to the round ones like on the Allen above.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1447636106.734345.jpg

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Then maybe you want to see these, too. The tube bias tremolo sounds awesome. I notice David's kits are 15% off right now... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Oh man... I love buying tools!!!

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You may have half of the stuff already. A set of socket drivers, any halfway decent soldering station (I like the Aoyue 937 I found on amazon for $60), $8 flush cutters, $15 auto stripper, and a middle of the road DMM that can handle the voltage (I use a Klein MM200 for $42 on amazon).

14. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    My suggestion is to go back to your original criteria: 1. $1000 2. Tone. Perhaps that's your max price, but don't make that a priority if tone is your goal. We all like the higher end amps, but you might shoot lower with your money and still hit the target.

The Fender Super Champ X2 combo will get you pretty close to Princeton territory for $380 USD vs. $1000 for the '65 PRRI or $900 for the '68 Custom PR. It's 15 watts, dual 6V6s, and a 10" speaker like the Princeton. The front end gives you a clean, Princeton/Deluxeish channel, two BF Princeton voices, two BF Deluxe voices, two Deluxe tweeds, a Twin, a Bassman, etc. Overall, it sounds good even at low volumes, can play clean or dirty, and is versatile. Some replace the speaker, but once broken in the stock one (Eminence) does a decent job across all the "voices" the amp has. Mine has a Weber Signature 10S. I use the Fender voices, mainly, and the Weber favors those tones. The whole package sounds good, once the voices are tweaked with Fender's Fuze software to suit your taste, and it's reliable. With a change to a more efficient speaker it's also giggable. Once dialed in you'd have a hard time identifying the PRRI vs. the SCX2 in a blind test. If you have to spend $1000, buy the SCX2 and send me the remaining $620 dollars. ;) I'll buy an SCX2 head to mate with my Tremolux 2 x 10" cab and have $320 for a used '97 Jimmie Vaughn Strat neck with the hard V below the 5th. That's the cost of good advice, you know.

15. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I have tried out the X2, and you make good points. Just something cool about sound being generated by electrons jumping through glass tubes!

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That is so true...:cool:

17. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I just sent in my deposit for a Gries 5. As much as I'd love to build my own someday, I just don't have the time I know I would put into it. The Gries 5 is essentially a Chihuahua without the reverb and with the option of using a 6V6 or 6L6 (getting 8 watts). And it keeps me under my original budget of $900. I now have a Catalinbread Topanga on my Chirstmas wish list (yes, I know I am now at $1,100, but such is the politics of a joint checking account). I really wanted to do a custom cabinet, but I would have had to forego the 3-day tryout/return possibility. As much as I am sure I'll love it, still nice to have the option.

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I know about checkbook politics. Me, I'd have stayed well under my $900 by purchasing cab-with-speaker. Then along with the Topanga, there'd have been all these "trivial" purchases for resistors, capacitors...

It's one of those "I know exactly what you're doing, but I have to admire the effort" things. I think.

19. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I went ahead and sent in my deposit for a Gries 5. Dave said it would probably be 6 weeks... but then I got an email on Saturday saying that he ay actually finish mine up this upcoming week. Oh yeah....

20. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Suggest get a used Princeton +Attenuator for lower volume noodling.
    All the dirt you want at any volume plus you can gig it.

I do this with my DRRI + Hotplate attenuator. Love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.