Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Prince's Hohner, finally good clear pictures which reveal a lot.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    and if the link doesn't work here's the picture in a file.

hohnerprince.jpg
    Look at state of the thing, it has all the scars of having been thrown around as much as it has, there's a pretty nasty repaired headstock break at the low E tuner, it's too bad we don't see the back of the headstock because god knows what else can be seen in the way of repairs.

Also visible is the wide neck pocket, I mean, even from the picture you can tell that you can push a couple of credit cards in there. And having owned a similar Hohner (albeit one with a plywood body) I can say from experience that that neck HAD to shift.

Note also the backplate for the built in wireless. As it states, Prince had a lot of copies made but the original was the only one which had that back plate.
    [​IMG]
    Prince using the Hohner during the "Purple Rain" tour, note, no lead coming from the plug socket, the wireless doing its thing.

What it doesn't say is what kind of pickups are currently in there, they could be the Kinmans he had fitted or maybe it got the original Hohner pickups fitted back in, who knows?

2. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I dont see a pic of the headstock repair?

BTW, I know someone who sold Prince one of those back around 2000-01
    or so.

He sold it on ebay via auction, Prince turned out to be the buyer.

Minimalist518 and TigerG like this.

3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    What is/was so good about this guitar that it was Prince's No 1?

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    He reportedly liked the way the cheap ceramic pickups sounded "funky and nasty", plus he liked the leopard scratchplate and bought a leopard print guitar strap to sorta match it

5. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    To be specific it was THIS sound he liked. "When you were mine" is a better example of that sound but I couldn't find it.

Prince played everything on this album himself and that sound is without a doubt his Hohner.

But those cheap ceramic pickups were also why his crew HATED the Hohner since it was a nightmare when Prince used it in conjunction with the Boss pedals and Peavey Amps he favored.

Here he is using the Hohner live during the "Dirty Mind" tour. The issues his crew had to deal with evident from the moment he puts on the distortion on "why do you wanna treat me so bad?" which is the second song.

Note that Dez is playing a normal Fender Tele and the contrast between the Fender twang and the Hohner's spank is striking.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

6. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    He certainly could play.......

dlew919 likes this.

7. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I saw Dez sit in with the band "Mazerati" back in the late 80s in Minneapolis. That was very cool

8. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    They must have gotten the sound issues worked out by 2004. Probably the luthier copies kept the tone and worked out the problems. Fast Forward to 3:26 if you're impatient.

And then throw it into the audience when you're done.

crossroader likes this.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The funny thing about the clip above, is simply listening to it, it's only alright.

You've got to watch the man in action for it to be awesome

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Yep. The dude could play but Prince's tone has never been on my radar. It sometimes sounds like he'd plugged directly into the desk.

11. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    That's supposedly what he did. Sang every song from the chair in front of the console as well.

vlammie, Shango66 and StrangerNY like this.

12. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I just noticed something.

[​IMG]
    Look closely at the right of the guitar in between the bindings, there's a hole there.

And THIS picture shows what it was for.
    [​IMG]
    Look at the wire running down the MadCat's side taped up with duct tape. That's the antenna for the device. I saw a clip of Brad Gillis explaining how he actually gouged out a channel for the antenna of his built in wireless in his long suffering red Strat and the light went on in my head, Prince did the same here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.