Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Prince's Hohner, finally good clear detailed pictures.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Blazer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    and if the link doesn't work here's the picture in a file.

hohnerprince.jpg
    Look at state of the thing, it has all the scars of having been thrown around as much as it has, there's a pretty nasty repaired headstock break at the low E tuner, it's too bad we don't see the back of the headstock because god knows what else can be seen in the way of repairs.

Also visible is the wide neck pocket, I mean, even from the picture you can tell that you can push a couple of credit cards in there. And having owned a similar Hohner (albeit one with a plywood body) I can say from experience that that neck HAD to shift.

Note also the backplate for the built in wireless. As it states, Prince had a lot of copies made but the original was the only one which had that back plate.
    [​IMG]
    Prince using the Hohner during the "Purple Rain" tour, note, no lead coming from the plug socket, the wireless doing its thing.

What it doesn't say is what kind of pickups are currently in there, they could be the Kinmans he had fitted or maybe it got the original Hohner pickups fitted back in, who knows?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Jut going from memory but I believe his old guitar tech (Kasumi?) said that he didn't like the Kinmans so they were taken out. I think they were replaced with Fender noiseless.
    God knows what is in there now though - from the 3121 era he had white covers that had been blacked out with a sharpie.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    vlammie likes this.

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Badass guitar played by an incredible player! The true king of funk guitar. And he could rock too.

Joe Sailor likes this.

5. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Interesting to see the rear strap pin has been relocated - must have torn out the screw at some point.

6. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    Not to put his guitar playing down, but Eddie Hazel might take umbrage with that statement. Prince might also take umbrage as he didn't seem to like being confined to a genre. But he did love his guitar...

NilsZippo likes this.

7. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    But to give you an example on why the Hohner looks like it does...
    [​IMG]
    There's a clip out there of Prince and the Revolution performing "1999" at "solid gold" and he throws his guitar over the drum kit seemingly into oblivion, we don't see it coming down but it's safe to say that there was nobody there to catch it for him.

8. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    It's a great guitar, Prince is great ... But I'm curious has anyone else bought a guitar at a gas station?
    That's a really strange place to pick up a guitar.

9. Patrick201

Patrick201 TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Hitsville, USA
    Strummer treated his guitars pretty similarly:

[​IMG]

jamieorc likes this.

10. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Luckily teles are tough, he probably didn't even need to retune it.

jamieorc and Patrick201 like this.

11. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Austin
    We shouldn't forget the great Glenn Goins who died far too young.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Nile Rodgers, IMO (which I probably don't really deserve to have, I'm not that huge of a funk devotee, but I know what I like).

Not to take anything at all away from his Royal Badness!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.