pricing on CS Telecasters all over the place

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by LarryJunior, May 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM.

1. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

It seems like price vary ALOT( sometimes thousands of dollars difference. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the prices.Some are 3K or it could be 4K for a seemingly similar guitar. How does Fender price them or are the dealers setting their own prices? Is there a "list" price on CS guitars from Fender that you can get say 40% off?

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 8:52 PM
  2. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

I have been told by a few dealers that Fender, just like Gibson, does not have a list price on the custom shop instruments. They do have the MAP price though.

I just got my latest CS Tele a few weeks ago for $2495 - NEW. The one before that was $2999 with lest features, though it is a Relic and the new on is a NOS.

3. VillainSean

VillainSean TDPRI Member

Yeah, the different finish options seem to help drive the pricing. I've also observed that say "limited editions" tend to run a bit higher as well.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Relic options raise price due to man-hours - more relicc'd more expensive.

Then there's pickups - custom buckets cost more than plain old Nocaster/Broadcasters. Inlays, exotic/figured woods. Limited and artist Sig series - more again.

5. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

Is there a easy way to get a MAP price or does every CS guitar seller have it's own set price per the particular guitar? If the guitar is selling for 4K ,do you think I could get it for at least 10-15% off ??

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

If you want an actual custom made CF guitar you pay what they ask.
    If you're fine with a standard product but want it in a CS version, there are plenty on the used market.
    Or scour for deals on new ones.
    I doubt there's a tried and true bargain basement priced CS dealer anywhere.
    That's kind of the point of "custom".

7. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

The best pricing I've found on Fender CS guitars is Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin. Dave must have some kind of special deal with Fender.....I don't know. But check out his pricing.

DanDII likes this.
  8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Relics are more expensive than pristine guitars .. Also their masterbuilt versions where one of their master luthiers have made the guitars himself are more expensive than their teambuilt version.

Finally CS guitars start their live at MAP price and slowly fall in price .. if they are not sold 2-3 years down the line they go on a deep sale.

9. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

Well,I checked out that $4K Tele. It was a new Closet Classic ,The neck had no relicing at all,It felt like a regular new satin finish .The body only had very light checking.It was nice but I wasn't very impressed for that much money.I think it's a limited edition so thats why it's so high.There was also a new Jimmy Page there that was half the cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.