Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pricing comparison on Telecaster type guitars with Strat types

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by theleman, Sep 25, 2017.

1. theleman

theleman Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    I have noticed that Tele type guitars are usually more expensive than say, Stratocaster type guitars. Any reasons for that?

Strats have usually 3x PUPS as well. I was wondering if it is to with some parts unique to Teles or just marketing thing and also more Strats are made than Teles?

Any thoughts?

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Supposedly Fender make Strats at about a 10:1 ratio to Teles. They don't actually publish these numbers but I'd assume some greater economies of scale with Strats.

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    I'm thinking more people are buying strats so they can get all those parts cheaper.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    That price differential seems to work in resale/used as well.

5. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Not necessarily, even for Fender. If you look at the American Vintage series the MAP for the Strat models is $300 more than the Tele models.

I'm purely a layman, but it seems to me that it's easier to wire up a Strat since everything is on the pickguard except for the output jack and the ground wire. You can run a top rout for almost everything and a second rout for the output jack. On a Tele you have individual routs for each pickup, channels for wiring, a separate rout for the control plate, and a final rout for the output jack. You have to wire it up after running leads through the body instead of dropping a sub-assembly in the body and making 2 connections.

Maybe one of the builders could weigh in on this - I've never tried to assemble a guitar on my own.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Pure volume of scale. They make a ton more Strats. Look used. There's many more and it's the most copied guitar in the world along with the Lester.

ftbtx likes this.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I find fitting and assembly on "S" style guitars is more time consuming than Esquires or Tele-types. Most especially the "trem" versions but S hardtails - it just ends up taking longer getting everything just so. The Tele is a simpler design - the Strat is more complex. Even such things as dialing in the heights of 3 pickups as compared to 2, just more than doubles the time spent on that alone.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think the T type is more expensive, retail, than its closest analog on the Strat side. They tend to be the same, or the Strat can be more in some cases.

When there's a certain model that's common to Teles and Strats, like the MIM Standard and American Special and American Standard and American Deluxe, the price tends strongly to be the same - the list price. The price from FMIC to the DEALER is often a few dollars less, for the Telecaster than the Strat. If the Strat version was $ 404, then the Telecaster version might be $ 393 - stuff like that.

If FMIC spends the same amount, per unit, to make Teles as opposed to Strats, IMO that's because of "economies of scale". It just tends to cost less per unit when you're making 10,000 of something as compared to making only 1,000 of them. This tends to offset (less or more) the fact that the collection of pieces parts in a Telecaster should cost less than the collection of pieces parts for a comparable Strat. This was the appeal of the Standard concept. T and S models would use the same tuning machines, same truss rods, same pots and caps and washers and nuts, and use the same neck plate and screws, same finish tech, etc.

Another factory which MAY matter (I don't know) is, with the fixed weight of the inertia block trem on a Strat and the extra pickups and pots and so on is such that the factory has to use extra care as to how much a Blank of Wood may weigh that will still make a light enough Stratocaster. Because even with all the routing on the S body, the S body ends up weighing nearly as much as the typical T body and if you're not careful you end up with heavy Strats and lighter Teles mostly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm sure that back in the 70's when I was a kid the Telecaster was very much perceived as the poor relation and the cost of a new one was about 20% lower than a Strat. No doubt one of you will come up with catalogue and price list to prove me wrong. But as a teenager it felt that the only way I could possibly buy a name guitar was to get Tele, which was no good as all I wanted at that time was a Les Paul.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yep before the vintage and collector craze Teles could be had for a song. A friend bought a brand new Tele Deluxe that was a few years old hanging in a shop window for $500.

I think the recommended retail price was similar but street prices way different.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I think they cost the same when new. The price difference is when they're being sold used. Supply and demand. People want Teles, and like someone said, they've made tons and tons of Strats. Nice thing is you can still find great condition MIM Strats for $250.

Also, and it might just be because I'm on this forum, but it seems to me that a lot of people want Teles in specific colors with specific features, so when one comes up that's exactly what you want you're willing to pay a bit more for it. I've got both Strats and Teles, and for some reason I don't see Strats the same way.

12. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Ah - good point. Whatever time is saved by having all the Strat electronics except the jack loaded on the pickguard versus wiring up a Tele is balanced out by the additional set-up time needed for a Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.