Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Preposterous singers you tolerate because you dig the band

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rze99, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I dunno. Axl Rose gives him some pretty stiff competition.

Anode100 likes this.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Finally, we get a response that fits the description of "preposterous." I mean, Bruce Springsteen is definitely not preposterous, whether you like him or intensely hate him.

Thor is preposterous. Gene Simmons is preposterous. Gwar was preposterous. Elton John in the duck costume was preposterous.

Teleterr likes this.

3. Bluesmaster-Ben

Bluesmaster-Ben TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Centennial, Colorado
    It's not his vocals (I don't mind his voice) but on many recordings Bob Dylan's harmonica playing is so loud, high pitched, and awful that it ruins the song!

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I like the fact Bob has never learned to play Harmonica. Does not ruin it for me, but certainly adds nothing.

5. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    Maybe, but Roth was famous for forgetting the lyrics (which rarely made sense in the first place) in live performances and shouting "I forgot the %&^#& words!" instead.

Of course, Axl was famous for not even showing up, so . . .

Generic Schmoe likes this.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Bonor and Mr Sting aren t preposterous , just generally disliked as people. U2 has a good singer, the Police an excellent one, but I don t like either of them other than as artists.

7. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    it's inevitable, as with everything, to see singers not universally liked. But when you read the names of singers who've formed a large part of your musical education and development being labelled 'preposterous, well... This aggression will not stand, man!

On an unrelated note...

[​IMG]

grooveiron and Bluesshoe like this.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Tom Verlaine's voice sounds like a bleating sheep, but I put up with it for Television's music.

Uncle Bob likes this.

9. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    Well. Apparently I'm incapable of posting a picture. Peter Gabriel dressed up as a flower, or wearing a red dress and a fox head. Pretty preposterous. But he had one heckuva set of pipes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Sounds Good and kelnet like this.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Best lyrics:

"They call me Mr. Knowitall
    I am so eloquent.
    Perfection is my middle name
    And whatever rhymes with eloquent."

SolidSteak likes this.

11. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    My vote goes to Jim "Dandy" M. of Black Oak Arkansas! He was nuts on stage and had a voice to go with it!

DonM likes this.

12. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    IMG_8807.JPG

Ever make the terrible mistake of joking about somebody's little cuckoo-crazy thing when you just didn't know? Ruh-Roh! I really didn't KNOW you have a real Batcave and signed Keaton napkin where is the restroom? Such is the case with all of our darling idols. If I posted a pic of my high school bedroom posters I would boing the cringe-scale wolfy-blood-nostrils

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Robert Plant sounded like a girl on "Houses of the Holy". Very difficult to take that album seriously.

14. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    So..... David Lee Roth

Teleterr likes this.

15. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2012
    Chicago Suburbs
    I love CS&N.

Can't stand Neil Young.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

You sounding like a misogynist makes you very difficult to take seriously.

But it's fine that you don't like women or high pitched voices, I guess.

To each their own.

atomfissure and Sleepyscholar like this.

17. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I hate to say it because they're one of my all time favorites:

Donald Fagen

Luckily the musicianship and songs make his singing bearable.

18. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Wow, are there ANY rock and roll singers that you guys DO like? I mean, for crying out loud...Paul McCartney, Geddy, Bruce, Axl, Plant, Mick??? These are pretty much THE pantheon of great R&R singers and you all can't stand them. It's rock and roll...it's about attitude and swagger, not pitch-perfect vocals. I used to judge singers.. then I started singing in my band and realized how hard it really is. You start to look at the greats in a different way. You might not like Axl, but my god, what power and presence! The same with Plant- can you really listen to "Since I've Been Lovin' You" and NOT think that this man is from another planet? Try singing a Rush song one time and see how tough it is. The vocals of all of these great bands are just as integral to their greatness as Page's guitar solos or Eddie's tapping.

For the record, I love the Smiths...and Morrissey, too. Sure his vocals are pompous and pretentious. That's the point.;) And the harmonica in "Hand in Glove" was played by Marr, not Morrissey (and it is in the right key, as Johnny Marr would surely know the difference).

songtalk and richiek65 like this.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Yours is the weirdest reply I've ever seen here. Robert Plant sounded like a Girl on Houses of the Holy. Especially the opening track. Listen to it. So his decision to sing with a ridiculous girly voice makes me a "misogynist"? What is that, exactly? Sounds like a fancy title for an expert in massage.

DonM and Teleterr like this.

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    The most frightening thing about this thread for me is that more often than not I like what is truly awful and yet I don't know why and cannot stop.

Teleterr likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.