Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Preposterous singers you tolerate because you dig the band

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rze99, Oct 5, 2017.

1. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Nah.

Morrissey is a third-rate talent that has established himself with a strong cult following because he is an "artieste'". He's "sensitive." He's "thoughtful." He's pretty much anything but talented. Rock critics swoon over his every thought and utterance. You know, the same people who gnashed their teeth over groups like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer because they were *really* good at playing their instruments and putting on a good show.

Greg Lake, by the way? One of the better singers in rock during his prime.

Morrissey is the kind of guy you'd want to invite to a greasy biker bar because they have the best burgers in the region.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

C'mon, everyone knows Morrissey is vegan.

3. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Yeah, I've always said I quite like The Smiths until that **** Morrisey starts singing.

Anode100 likes this.

4. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

Sorta remind you of this?

DonM, Modman68 and atomfissure like this.

5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Hey, why did TDPRI replace my inoffensive mildly derogatory British English slang term for 'a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious' with astericks?

6. BigDaddyLH

Rhymes with?

I wonder why certain synonyms get bleeped:

poo
    poop
    crap
    turd

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Beach Boys

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Doesn t git have 3 letters ?

9. BigDaddyLH

That passes the cussin' filter, otherwise how with TDPRIers say "When I say git, yall git"?

10. boppy

boppy TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Toronto
    Usually, if a singer has an annoying voice (Bono, Sting, Robert Smith, James Hetfield) I'll ignore the rest of the band as well...

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Xcene Cervenka, altho her lyrics are great

Jason from Jason and the Scorchers

12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Years ago, a friend in a local band wrote a song about Morrissey containing the memorable line, “you need a cheeseburger and a good f____.”

Bluesshoe likes this.

13. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    “Play” is generous in the extreme He doesn’t so much play harmonica as randomly breathe through it.
    Not that I follow his career at all, but as far as I know, he still behaves like a 14-year-old Emo kid at Thanksgiving wearing a ratty cardigan, offering loud and unsolicited commentary on how his teachers are philistines incapable of understanding his poetry and hectoring his family for murdering the turkey.

14. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Les Claypool - Primus ; a wizard on the bass but who gave him that mic?

SolidSteak and McGlamRock like this.

15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michael McDonald.

Personally, I love him. I think he is a fantastic talent. But growing up, and even talking with other friends and musicians these days; you either love him or cannot stand him.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The problem with the idea of this thread, as with all others of this type (of which there have been far too many lately, which means any at all, as far as I'm concerned) is that you get a large number of people who confuse their opinion with fact, and their preference with reality (whatever that is). It's subjective. Ya' know, I really don't enjoy either singer for AC/DC, but dang it if they aren't somehow just right for that band.

I can understand discussions of bands or artists you're embarrassed to admit you like, because it doesn't have such loaded language. I could be wrong about that last sentence. But from now on, I'm going to stay out of these 'dislike' type of discussions.

Sounds Good, jman72 and popthree like this.

17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Heh. I suspect he became a singer out of necessity and not out of a burning desire to be a crooner. I love his lyrics, but his singing is definitely the kind of voice only a Primus fan could love :D

Johnson johnson and Teleterr like this.

18. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    Dee Snyder

kelnet likes this.

19. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    It’s not so much that he’s a bad singer as it is he doesn’t seem to know that you can sing on an out-breath. I find myself shouting “Exhale!” at the radio

McGlamRock likes this.

20. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Springsteen
    Steve Perry
    Getty Lee
    David Lee Roth

troy2003 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.