Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Preposterous singers you tolerate because you dig the band

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rze99, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Bluesmaster-Ben

Bluesmaster-Ben TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Centennial, Colorado
    I personally like Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia's singing, but whoever "that lady" is can really ruin a solid jam. She sounds like Janis Joplin with no soul.

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I thought I knew what "preposterous" meant. I'm not so sure now...

LutherBurger and drf64 like this.

3. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2009
    westfield,MA
    Brittany Howard...so preposterous I can't tell what the band sounds like

Uncle Bob likes this.

4. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    Preposterous may be a little harsh but their voices aren't their strong points.

Robben Ford (Fords better than Carlton)

Larry Carlton

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I agree if you're limiting the discussion to singing, but if you bring Mick's full body dry heaves aka dancing into the discussion that's a whole 'nother thing.

jimmytheshoe likes this.

6. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    "preposterous"

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The whole costume thing rendered KISS quite preposterous, but I did like their music when I was a kid.

8. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    David Lee Roth

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    For the purpose of this thread, I have no idea what the OP means by “preposterous singers.” Seems like most people are responding by mentioning people who may not be that great, or who they simply don’t like. I interpret “preposterous” to mean some sort of extreme vocal affectation like Jimmy Dale Gilmore or the guy in System of a Down.

10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I like them too. Although you can hear some definite 'off' nights. I also enjoy David Lee Roth, Geddy Lee, Robert Plant and Lou Reed. I don't find them preposterous. There's a difference between someone who tries to sing, by conventional standards, and just can't pull it off (without auto-tune and other digital assistance). And then there are those, who just fly outside those bounds, which are most of those under discussion here. Lou Reed and DLR, for no reason other than as an example, are like this condiment found in some Indian restaurants. It's really weird at first. Then you taste again, because it is so unusual, and discover there's really something there, it's just that it doesn't adhere to the usual conventions of what is recognized as good. After a few times, you acquire a taste for it and really enjoy it.

By the way, I have no idea what that unusual condiment is called. I've never asked, but it is great even though it's completely weird.

Minimalist518 and ndcaster like this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I was too quick to assume what preposterous meant. I meant singers whose singing goes a long way toward ruining a group I would otherwise really like.

Teleterr likes this.

12. BobRob

BobRob Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2003
    Plant's caterwauling was terrible. It did fit the band though. "No melody Mick" Jagger always sounded like he was spitting the words out of his mouth.
    Fortunately, their target audience was the teeny-bopping baby boomers. Not the most discerning group ever, so they sold a lot of records.

13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    There were no teenyboppers then, that culture had not arrived yet.

14. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

The OP is an example of agenda based posting. The agenda of a non-musician, at the very least.

15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    "...contrary to nature, reason, or sense; absurd; ridiculous"

Sounds like most singers haha

Somebody's gotta do it

There's also an absolutely free ego-check delivered by Time, hurts soooooo good!

SolidSteak likes this.

16. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Jeez you guys, I thought I felt bad for tolerating the countless droves of "cookie monster" vocals just so I could enjoy some downright gnarly metal grooves laid down by the rest of the band. I mean, I'm not expecting operatics, but a little melody with that glass shard gargle would be welcome. But Plant? Jagger? Geddy?

I get it, everybody has a different taste in vocals, but damn if those guys didn't fit just right with the music they made at the time they made it. For example, I'd vote Bon Scott over Brian Johnson any day, but it is my sincere opinion that Back In Black would not have had the same impact if Scott had been at the mic.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man...

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Red Dragon Cartel comes to mind, to be honest. Their first singer, like listening to someone take fingernails to a chalkboard. He *barely* hit the notes.

As for this, "disparaging musicians" thing. I seem to recall that when I mentioned in another post about singers being musicians, I was scoffed at. Now, all of a sudden, they're a member of "the club."

You almost need a scorecard to keep track of the definitions around here.

And the "cookie monster" stuff? OH MY GOD. Awful. Just frickin' awful. It's like D'jent for vocals, except D'jent can use up to 3 notes for a song.

18. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

But you gotta admit, he does a heckuva yodel.

19. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Robert Plant isn't/wasn't a bad singer. But he was pretty preposterous, in my opinion. Same with Jagger. I love David Lee Roth and I think he's totally preposterous.

Evil Funk, Teleterr and El Tele Lobo like this.

20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    Another way to look at it is that Back In Black would've been something completely different with Bon there to contribute lyrics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.