Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Preposterous singers you tolerate because you dig the band

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rze99, Oct 5, 2017.

1. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Not at all. I think he's a great songwriter and lyricist and a pretty decent guitarist. I just have trouble understanding him sometimes.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Honestly if there is a bad singer, or guitar player, or drummer, or any other instrumentalist in a band then I'm not gonna listen. It's like watching a high school play when a kid forgets their lines, takes me right out no matter what, then you remember you're watching a high school play to begin with.

Having said that, I just remembered I kinda like the White Stripes...

IMHO Robert Plant is awesome, with Zeppelin. His album with Allison Krauss is also cool but everything else he did was not good, but he pulled his weight in the greatest band ever.

Dismalhead likes this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    For my money, both Robert & Mick are templates for frontmen, in rock's Pantheon!

Georox, Nick Fanis, jman72 and 2 others like this.

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    Can't believe after 23 posts no one said David Lee Roth - although I personally like him, he's the gold standard for preposterous singers.

kafka, brbadg, Generic Schmoe and 6 others like this.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Yes, you missed the hate discussion point.

Yer right, Kelnet didn't put anyone down, shouldn't that be the standard?

6. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    The singer in my ex-band. He was utter ****e. But a great bass player who could sing (sort of) as well as play (pretty good). He was no Geddy Lee though, let's just put it like that.

I tolerated his crap for years, record deal and all, until one final gig, my mates pulled me aside and had a word with me after being sonicaly assaulted by his vocal chords.

Really great songwriter though.

I couldn't personally tolerate any band where I didn't like the vocalist. I'll tolerate bad drummers, bad guitarists etc. but vocals have to be right. Most musicians are pretty good anyway if they are in a band, so it's not a problem either I suppose.

Evil Funk and Teleterr like this.

7. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Disliking someone's voice is not hate speech.

Dean James and Evil Funk like this.

8. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I don't recall anyone saying they hated these singers. In fact, this thread is about bands we actually like. These are successful musicians for a reason: they're quite talented.

If this thread were titled, "Bands you like with quirky vocalists," would this also be an issue?

9. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    i ve never heard him stutter. He might be missing a few front teeth though.

10. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Tim Armstrong doesn't stutter. Mel Tillis did. I think Tim would still be difficult to understand even with all his teeth.

A few of my friends went to a Rancid show years ago and it took all 4 of them at the Waffle House afterward to figure out something he said to the crowd between songs.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Jagger ? NO! ....Plants so full of sh*t its a wonder he has Blond hair... A$$hole Rose has kept me from getting any Guns and Roses...The guy on Green Day. Whats w the phony British accent as bad as the phony country drawl...and of course the famous Irish band Me Also's Bonor...Edit, forgot Geddy. I have no Rush. He shoulda sung thru a pitchshifter set an octive lower.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I saw that you made that point - I just don't see any of this as anything "hateful."
    Just an internet board discussion about singers that some people find annoying.

And just to get back on topic....sort of...
    I kinda put this discussion along side of the "questionable guitar tones that fit into a particular song."
    For example, Robert Plant's vocal style worked perfectly in Zep. If he tried to sing with Steely Dan, it would sound ridiculous.
    Then again, being the talented singer that he is, he may well be able to adapt and do a fine job with "My Old School," who knows?

Evil Funk, Minimalist518 and studio like this.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW

untitled.png

Thijs van Leer

Teleguy61 likes this.

14. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Rod Stewart on Jeff Beck's "Truth" album.

15. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    I know they are not mentioned as main influence those days but jim morrison from the doors. I can't. I just can't. This lousy mannerism...

drlucky likes this.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    David Byrne.
    Lou Reed.
    Stevie Nicks.

ndcaster likes this.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Dave was the king of preposterous, but I was into it 'cause I was like 15 when the first album came out. Took me until Van Hagar to realize how stupid the whole thing was.

18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I can understand not liking Ben Folds voice. That was actually the first thing my friend warned me about when I was introduced to his Music. He was like "you just have to get past the voice" but I love his voice and love his music. I actually got to go see him this year and it was an incredible show. One guy with one piano rocking the whole place by himself. Anyway I digress. I feel like if I didn't like his voice I'd have a tough time even listening to his music. But I do have another friend who is a tremendous piano player who likes Folds but still has a hard time with his voice.

Minimalist518 and Teleterr like this.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    For example, Robert Plant's vocal style worked perfectly in Zep. If he tried to sing with Steely Dan, it would sound ridiculous.
    Then again, being the talented singer that he is, he may well be able to adapt and do a fine job with "My Old School," who knows?[/QUOTE]
    ..."and I-e-i-ei-ei-ei'm never going back to my old schoooooooooooooooooool".

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This should have been explained in the original post: how does "preposterous" apply in this thread?

1. To the antics of the singer
    2. To the quality of their singing voice

Ex-riverman and drf64 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.