Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Premium Guitar Kits Pickups-Staple P90, Filtertron clones, CC neck??????

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by twintwelve, Sep 9, 2018.

1. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2010
    Laurel, DE
    brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Very interesting, thanks!

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    They are 15 minutes from the house. I’ll have to go take a look see.

4. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Charlie C Neck and T59 Bridge set
    Neck DCR: 3.2K
    Bridge DCR: 8.17K

Unusual combination?

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t need to see these just when I just bought a used Lollar CC+BS set....

6. elementfrvr

elementfrvr TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Smallville
    Very interested in the Charlie C model pickup. Has anyone checked them out yet?

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Have you checked up on these?

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    It's interesting that you mention Lollar. Not only is he the only pickup maker I know of that offers, not just the three listed in this post, but also a Jazzmaster set they also offer https://reverb.com/shop/muddyriverguitars?product_type=parts&category=guitar-pickups .

The most interesting similarity between Lollar and this "Premium Guitar Kits" listing is that, AFAIK, the original P-90 staple only ever came with elevator mechanisms, to raise and lower the magnets. Both Lollar's staple P-90 and this offering from "Premium Guitar Kits" have staples that are non-adjustable.

Technically Seymour Duncan offers these same models also, though via their Custom Shop, and their's have some marked differences. Seymour Duncan's Staple P-90 has vintage style elevator mechanisms. "Premium Guitar Kits" isn't showing the undersides of any of the pickups, which is where all the most obvious machine marks are found, but what can be seen from the top matches Lollar's offerings, for example, the shape of the base plate of the C Christian, and of course the non-adjustable AlNiCo magnets.

I remember seeing Lollar discuss his fixed Staple P-90, it sound to me like it's definitely a Lollar innovation. He discusses it in this video between the 5th and 6th minute of the interview.

And this is the problem with manufacturing in America. I don't know the circumstances surrounding the similarity of these pickups, but no matter how you cut it, Lollar is being severely undercut by this Korean product, and even if there is legal recourse, it probably wouldn't make any difference.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

I haven’t yet , I’ve been in Illinois. Maybe this weekend I can make it acros the river.

bender66 likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I didn't find such a great deal on the Lollar set, I'd be trying these CC offerings, and now the adjust-less P-90 staple might be in my near future. Do I need this stuff? No way, but that's why I don't shell out new prices for the big buck makers when I know a little of what matters in pickup construction. On the flip side, it'd be easier to move the Lollars along.

11. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I agree, I don't have a good answer. We can't make much money from engineering work either, because the companies in the East just steal the IP.

I suspect that's what might be happening here, American companies send schematics to the Chinese or Korean fabricator to produce the pickup parts, and then either the same overseas company, or a company across the street, produces their own clones from the same parts and undercuts the American company that hard designed them in the first place. This could also explain the similarity between David Allen and BYO pickups. A difference between that circumstance and this one is that it's well established that Lollar winds pickups; he teaches classes on winding, he wrote a book on pickup winding, he has employees, and shop that people have seen and visited, pictures, videos. In the former circumstance, there was a distinct lack of all of these things.

bender66 likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Lollar CCs use 38 gauge wire, and are spec'd the same as the clones on his website: 3.2k. Based on that, it's probable these PGK clones use a similar gauge.

Antigua has a handy-dandy table to covert the values around here somewhere, aka a wire resistance calculator. I bet if you cross-checked the table, the 8.1k bridge/3.2k neck pickup combo makes more sense, ignoring all the pitfalls of using DCR in the first place. The Lollar BS Tele pickup I have uses 40 gauge wire and comes in around 4.5k. My guess is this would sound tinny at 42 gauge but it is actually the fattest/loudest single coil I currently own. I had to use 500k pots to get my twang back!

13. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    TV-Jones as a few sets where the bridge DC resistance is much higher than the neck also, such as the Duo-tron, Magna-tron and T'Armond. I'm pretty sure it's just because a smaller gauge of wire is used for the bridge.

Here's the conversion table for equivalent resistance with respect to wire gauge:

To convert 42 AWG to 43 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 1.29 ( 2143 / 1659 )
    To convert 42 AWG to 44 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 1.56 ( 2593 / 1659 )

To convert 43 AWG to 42 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 0.77 ( 1659 / 2143 )
    To convert 43 AWG to 44 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 1.21 ( 2593 / 2143 )

To convert 44 AWG to 42 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 0.64 ( 1659 / 2593 )
    To convert 44 AWG to 43 AWG equivalent, you multiply the resistance by 0.83 ( 2143 / 2593 )

RomanS, bender66 and BorderRadio like this.
  14. elementfrvr

elementfrvr TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Smallville
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the specs are eerily similar to the Lollars. I may have to pick up this set when I modify my tele in a couple of months. I figure for the price, at least one of the pickups should be a keeper,

15. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

I went over to look at them Saturday morning. I was free to roam around upstairs where the guitars are located and I handled a couple of DIY pine Tele’s one with the staple top P90s and the other wiTh .......trons. Look well enough made to me. But there wasn’t anyone to talk to that morning. So I have to go back :) And they had an Alvarez folk style OM size with a cedar top and hog back n. Sides that will go nicely with my spruce topped walnut backed version. And it was only $249 with a Gator hard case ! So I GOTTA go back ! I just GOTTA :)

bender66 likes this.
  16. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    I am interested in their tron style pickups.
    I have a build coming up with two filtertron pickups and I have not ever used filtertron a before.
    I was a little shocked by the tv Jones prices as well as the lack of options for filtertron shaped guitars. I am now thinking I should have gone with HB routes to widen my options.

If anybody has tried these, what did you think?

17. StudioZoar

StudioZoar TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2012
    New York City
    This thread got me as I'd been wanting to put together a Tele/CC combo for a long time. Ordered the PU from Reverb and installed it in a mystery Thinline that I'd bought cheap on EBay a few years ago, seduced by the spalted maple top. When I dialed in the bridge PU (ceramic, 6.7K) for a pleasing sound, the neck sounded incredibly dull and lifeless, making it a good candidate for replacement. Routed it out, wired it up and plugged it in. Have to say, the Premiere Charlie C sounds fantastic - rich and woody, lots of definition when played through my '66 Princeton Reverb and especially through my '50's tweed Champ. The original bridge PU is thin and brittle in comparison and will soon be replaced. I've played various guitars with Charlie Christian pickups, both original and modern versions, and this pickup definitely holds up. (Pickguard is a piece of Kydex, somewhat crudely hand-cut.) Thinline CC 1.JPG

brookdalebill and bender66 like this.
  18. StudioZoar

StudioZoar TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2012
    New York City
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Any clips of that CC would be greatly appreciated!

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    So, curiosity got the better of me, and I've ordered a staple bridge and a christian neck pickup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.