Premium fuel...................worth it ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tomm Williams, Feb 13, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These modern engines & software are pretty incredible.. they are adjusting tons of things.

- How long/how much/when valves open
    - When spark plugs fire
    - How much fuel is injected, sometimes they also can inject it in different places

They have a huge # of inputs.. I at one point had a 3rd party tuning computer I stuck on my motorcycle and spent quite a bit of time with.

I've seen the stuff in cars and it was like the space shuttle compared to the motorcycle I mucked around with.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'm going to turn this around. Cheap gas is never worth it. My wife and I use top tier fuel in both of our cars. The Benz and the BMW both have 2 liter turbocharged engines. The Benz is fussier and only gets premium. The BMW I drive is happy most of the year with 89 octane as long as it's top tier. Premium is noticeably better when the weather gets hot. Not skimping and using the correct fuel gets me 25.7 mpg average over 10,000 miles in mixed driving and I never drive in the right hand lane. That's the morning and afternoon commute in traffic, shopping, driving into the city on weekends, and the occasional 150 mile trip. The mileage is 10% better than my last BMW and this one hits 60 in 6.1 sec from a normal start. The only thing inexpensive about these cars is filling the tank. I couldn't save the cost of a cappuccino each week using cheap gas. How would that be worth it?

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Not offering this as proof of anything just an observation. Since starting this thread I’ve now reached 22.0 mpg from the original 21.2. My driving habits have not changed one bit.
    As has been stated in other responses, there could well be other things at play that are contributing to this.

4. Cobra1957

Cobra1957 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Since the engine in my car is supercharged and has a 93 octane tune on it I have to use Premium.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, that's one of the bummers of choosing supercharging over turbocharging. The turbo really takes itself out of the mix when it isn't needed - minimal scavenge losses. But the supercharger is always there and always placing a load on the motor. We had a McCulloch supercharger on a '55 Kaiser and it struggled at times when the '54 (normally aspirated) did not.

Cobra1957 likes this.
  6. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

That's awsome! I've got a few spare carbs laying around, I've got an original Holley 780 off an LS6 454.

I've also got an original 2×4 intake and carb/linkage set off a 427 Corvette

I bought the intake. But me and a buddy had to cut the runners down just a about 1/4" to achieve higher velocity.

This is going on a 540ci Chevy... you outta see the valvetrain, its dastardly to say the least.

We had the heads cut and modified to change the geometry for more stability at high rpm.

The engine itself is actually pretty mild, as it's going in a street car. Now on the spray it's a whole nother animal.

It outta make around 900hp on motor and 1600 on spray.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.