Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Preferred method to remove waterslide headstock decals?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by slack, Sep 10, 2004.

1. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    In searching the forum I found but a few references to this, with vinegar and naptha being mentioned.

To those possibly in the know, is there a preferred and proven safe means for removing waterslide decals from headstocks? In this instance it would be to remove an inappropriate and wrongly placed spaghetti logo on a 66 neck.

2. Mr. Droopy-Drawers

Mr. Droopy-Drawers Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Hopefully there is a few coats of lacquer under the decal. In that case, I've had success just wet-sanding the offending decal off, and starting again. If there is no lacquer, sanding the headstock down and starting 'right' may be the only option. Either way, I remove the tuning pegs and ferrules, and buff the old girl up real nice.

3. Detman101

Detman101 Banned

Mar 3, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If there isn't any coating over the decal, you can try this method.

1. Get a paper towel and fold it to fit the size of the decal.
    2. soak it with warm water with a little vinegar.
    3. Let the soaked towel sit on top of the decal for about an hour.
    4. Dry off any excess water/vinegar.
    5. Remove the loosened decal with painters tape. (Or your fingernails if you are able and want to...lol)

=)
    Dm

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Basic question..is it over or under the finish ?

5. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2006
    Santa Fe New Mexico
    If you have not coated it and it is on top of a coat or two of finish, wet rag Vinegar throw it in the microwave heat it a little and lay it over the decal.
    naptha and an old tooth brush after you remove buff the headstock.

6. ronstackman

ronstackman TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Rochester
    Thanks ramseybella! I bought a used Nash and it had a Fender decal applied. I put a rag under some hot water, added a bit of vinegar to the rag and set in on the headstock for about 40'. The painters tape lifted it right off. Perfect. Great forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.