Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

pre cbs bassman....i don't think so

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by muscmp, Feb 13, 2018.

1. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    radiocaster likes this.

2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    wow - good for shows in tiki bars for sure.

nojazzhere and Milspec like this.

3. 66tele

66tele TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2014
    The Dalles, Oregon
    You are correct regarding the amp vintage and mods. Oh, and JBL D120's don't sell for $1000 / pair.......You'd be lucky to sell them for half that. That being said, $1000 for the entire rig isn't a bad price. Goofy idea to tweed a mid-to-late sixties Fender. One can buy these in my area for $1200 (in original tolex and grille cloth).

Cjl77 and BobbyZ like this.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Why would someone tweed a black face amp? I have an accurately dated '65 Tremolux that clearly says CBS on the back. That amp has to be a '65-67.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I would have to replace the grill cloth immediately and evaluate if the mods needed to go as well, but the price is pretty good. Replace the cloth, sell off the JBL's (likely need re-coned anyway), blackface the circuit and still be under $1200 is a decent deal. I paid $900 for an unmolested early '65 head about 3 years ago. Added the Avatar vintage style cab for another $375 and have been very happy. I guess the question is the value of the cabinet? If it is a vintage piggyback pine that has been re-tolexed, it might be worth $450 without speakers. If it is actually a modern cabinet with tweed tolex...not so much.

As long as the mods haven't ruined things, it would be worth about that for the set.

nojazzhere likes this.

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    So what would you call it ? Late 1967 ? I have an early 67 and it doesn't say that.
    I like it.
    The tweed and the party grill cloth, is vey tiki bar. And I like the JBL's, but Not the open back

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I am actually okay with the tweed part as well...likely the previous black tolex was in bad shape. I just can't handle the cloth and I have a little tikki bar in the basement...it is just too busy with the stripes. A brown thatch might be better for that. As for the actual age, I don't think it really matters any more since it is far from being original. I would date it according to the transformers at this point and regardless of what exact year it is, it can always be rolled back to a blackface circuit. No purist would buy it, so the collectors will not be stalking this listing except maybe for the speakers only which is why I would sell off those speakers if you make the deal. The speakers would probably get you about $300 depending on condition which would pay for the blackfacing and maybe grill cloth.

If I was nearby and had some scratch, I would probably be interested if the tolex is done correctly. From the photos, it looks like it was done well.

jimash likes this.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd offer $850 and go from there. I kind of dig the tiki bar look.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Oh man !
    "JBL speakers are alone worth $1,000."

I've got four JBLs, matched pair of D131s and one orange D120F and one gray D120F.
    I'll let um all go for $1,999. :)

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    I wouldn't be seen in Bakersfield with that.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    A modded and recovered amp like that? Really doesn't matter, but you can date it by getting the serial number. The serial number database has ben an established tool for quite some time now.

As far as value, "book" price on a Bassman head/cab in excellent condition is $1300-1650; recovering cuts it to around 60% of that, with the mod(s) (the switch and mystery jack hole on the back are very suspect) causing more deductions that might be offset by the JBL's *if* they are in good shape (hard to tell).

Roughly $700-800 IMO. Possibly a *bit* more if 1) it's been properly serviced and has good tubes, 2) if the are mods are benign & reversible - other than the obvious holes - and 3) other than the cosmetics and noted issues it's 100% original.

Wally and radiocaster like this.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I think that grill cloth looks pretty fetching, and I am not a fan of tweed but I like it because it makes a good combination with the grill cloth.

That cab cannot be worth much as it doesn't even have the original back.

13. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    Time to start a Jimmy Buffet cover band...

Wally likes this.

14. schmee

schmee Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    $1000 not bad for the whole rig with JBL's. The tweed looks nicely done. You could sell the JBL's for $300-$400 and only have $600 in the whole rig!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.