Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pre-Build Bassman AA165 mods

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Peterquelle, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL

Hmm... that's quite strange. I'm pretty sure all 6 of those octals are Sovtek 6L6s. The outside 2 look like the 5881/6L6WGC, and the 4 inside look like the 5881WXT or 6L6WXT+. Who knows ... people build some crazy stuff. Some gut shots would be the only way to know what's really going on.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not really any of them. People use names like "Bassman" to generalize all sorts of amps that actually are unrelated - except for maybe the use of 6L6 power tubes.

That thing appears to have 2 rectifier tubes flanking the power tubes. The tweed 5D6 had 2 rectifiers, but on one side of only two power tubes. No Bassman had 4 power tubes and 2 rectifiers.

This just looks like somebody's own idea of an 80-100 watt tube amp. Without seeing the chassis there's no way to even guess at the circuit, and depending on hidden wiring, filter caps on the opposite side of the chassis, transformer part numbers etc there's no way to even throw a dart at what it really is.

But IMO it is probably a terrible mod platform unless you have design experience, or at least until you draw up a schematic and spend some serious time studying the functions of each section of the amp - power supply, power section, preamp.

3. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Are you talking about the *1-ohm* resistors sometimes used for biasing?

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Those are not rectifiers. Look at the structure. They look like Sovtek 5881s to me. I'm pretty sure there's isn't anything else that looks like that.

5. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Flanking a quad 6L6'S?

Not hardly. I have some rectifiers around here with wafer bases.

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Having dual rectifiers arranged like that doesn't make sense either.

I've never seen any that look like that, at least not the usual 5AR4s. You could prove me wrong though.

7. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I've seen them but can't find 'em in my piles of rectifiers.

but another thought is - possibly, having seen something similar in hifi circuits - dual 6SN7 or 6SL7 driver tubes...although it would be strange to use two dual-section tubes when one would suffice.

to the OP - what ARE those tubes????

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I doubt he knows. He was just posting pictures of a DIY 'Bassman' that was for sale. At first I thought, 5F8A Twin? It's basically a 5F6A. No, not with a 12AT7 PI. My next thought was Bassman 100.

9. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    And therein lies the problem - no chassis pics and it's obviously NOT a "Bassman" - even a Bassman 100 with those tubes.

10. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Did you ask what the tube complement is? Even if you are not buying it (and I wouldn't if I were you - it's too bizarre) it would be interesting to know what the mysterious power tube layout consists of.

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I'd buy it for $100. For the iron.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.