Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Practice cabinet and speaker for my 5e3

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by blille, Jan 8, 2018.

1. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I’m the proud owner of a 5e3 with a cannabis Rex. I love it but it’s obviously not ideal for home practice.

Instead of buying a second amp for practice I was thinking of buying a small cab with an 8” speaker (the less efficient the better). So far I’ve seen a Vox, Hotone and orange.

I was wondering if you had any recommendations or feedback.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    You can do this with an 8" speaker. You can do it with a 10". You could even do it with a 12". If you decide to go the 8" route, you might try to locate an old Oxford 8EV alnico that came in some of the SF Champs. They're nice-sounding speakers, and they're very inefficient. For a modern production 8" speaker, there are loads to choose from these days. But most are going to be pretty darn efficient.

You might go the way of a 12" cabinet instead. If it were mine, I'd probably do that. They're really versatile, and 12" speakers are easy to find in all kinds of flavors and efficiencies. For example, you could get a 12" cabinet and go with a WGS G12Q, which is their recommendation for a 5e3. It's rated at just under 96dB, whereas the Cannabis Rex is rated at just under 102dB. The rule of thumb is that every 3dB counts for about twice the perceived volume. So the CR would be double and double again the perceived volume of the WGS G12Q. That's a big difference!

EDIT: See Bristlehound's correction below.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

3. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    I'm a fan of 10" speakers. There is plenty of variety, the cabs aren't as bulky as 12s, they are not as loud as 12s, and they are less expensive.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    For what you would pay for a new cab and speaker, would an attenuator work / do the same thing? Yeah, I know, it can change the color of the sound and all, but still...

King Fan likes this.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I'm afraid that it's 10dB that is twice the percieved volume. 3dB is what you get from doubling the power. i.e 100W is double the power of a 50W, but only 3dB louder.

Jammin'John likes this.

6. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, right! Thanks for the correction, @Bristlehound !

dr_tom likes this.

7. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the answers, good to hear it makes sense to you

I’m currently leaning towards this one: https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/1x8-speaker-cab-kit/

It’s 1x8, open back and with a Jensen that has good reviews and is rated 93dB.

I hear you. I’ve thought about it and I think that the cab has the additional benefit of... being an extra cab I could use it for other amps of even connect both and use this cab as sort of monitor live.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    dr_tom and clintj like this.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I think an 8 is too small. I've got a roughly 5E3-size unfinished pine cab with a vintage Jensen-style speaker that is great in the music room. About half the volume of an efficient 12 and the bass is nicely rolled off while still sounding full.

blille likes this.

9. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    A Weber sig12 will cut efficiency way down.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Well, I ended up ordering an Eminence Maverick. Mostly because my wife thinks I have too many amps / cabinets already :)

Also because some of the feedback was to go with a less efficient 12 or an attenuator, so thanks!

11. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think that's a really good idea. Let us know how you think it sounds with a 5e3!

12. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Thanks! Will do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.