Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Powerbank 5v - Pedalboard 9v

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Alamo, May 10, 2017.

1. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    All parts were delivered and I put this together:
    • a Soshine E5 powerbank enclosure and Li-Ion batteries. it now holds three Panasonic 18650B 3400mA cells.
    • 1 USB to 9v plug converter cable.
    • one polarity changer adapter.
    • 1 Daisy chain, that I already had
    voila! it works for five random pedals. can't say how long it will last but it's neat
    10.000+ mA in theorie.
    I am happy with my Caline mobile power sys in my main pedalboard. this new one will power a second board. (when ya have too many idle pedals doing nothing, ha)

1-DSCN2411.JPG 1-DSCN2415.JPG 1-DSCN2420.JPG 1-DSCN2419.JPG

xafinity and Staypuft1652 like this.

2. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

3. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    waparker4 likes this.

4. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston Texas
    I think that's pretty slick.......10 K Ma should last a while, too.......willhowl..

Alamo likes this.

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I've been running my pedalboards on Power Banks for a few months now, also with the 5v to 9v step up arrangement. Love the freedom it provides.

These Soshine enclosures look cool, although a little overpriced maybe. The display looks very useful, and the fact that you can replace the batteries yourself is a real plus. Also, the very cheap enclosures don't include recharging capabilities, so that is a nice touch also.

Does the power switch shut off the battery pack, or does it only turn it on?

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    For example, for $20, I bought the Jackery Thunder X from Amazon. It's capacity is 20100mAh. Granted that is a blow out price. But I've also gotten the Jackery Titan, same capacity, for under $40.

But the display and the removable battery thing make this enclosure attractive despite the price.

7. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    The power switch turns back on when a converter cable is plugged in.
    so no, it won't keep shut off.

the price of $33 I stated did include three new batteries.
    the empty enclosure is about 15 bucks, so not really spendy. if you have some spare batts aready....even the better.
    it takes any different kind of 18650 batteries, doesen't even have to have all slots occupied.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...shine-e3-dual-usb-pcb-board-plastic-enclosure

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Without a stock of batteries, I guess this would come in at about $30-40 for a 4 battery arrangement (E3 model). That provides approx 8000-12000 mAh depending on the batteries you buy. Not a bad price. But the commercial options are often a better deal, and more robust. Still, I do like the display and the ability to replace worn out batteries.

BTW, you might already know this, but just in case...

To figure out how long your battery pack will last, you need to do some math. Assuming a 10000mAh battery pack, and a board that draws 200 mA:

(mAh)*(V)/1000 = (Wh)
    10000*3.7/1000 = 37 watts

(Wh)*1000/(V) =(mAh)
    37*1000/9 = 4111.1111 mAh

(mAh) / (mA) = (hours)
    4111 / 200 = 20+ hours

In practice, you might get a little less time than the calculations would suggest as the 5v to 9v conversion (and even the 3.7v to 5v conversion inside the enclosure) is not 100% efficient. 85%-90% is typical I believe. So maybe 18 hours in my example.

Here is a handy web site for these calculations (except for the last one, which is the easiest):

https://milliamps-watts.appspot.com/

Alamo likes this.

9. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the nifty link. it's bookmarked but better for me to use after a morning coffee :D

What would be a more robust, commercial option at a better deal, in your opinion?

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I've had really good luck with the Jackery batteries. I have a few small ones that I use for my iPhone, and then I have the larger ones for the pedalboards. The best deal is the Jackery Thunder X. Amazon has it on sale right now at $19.99, and its capacity is 20,100 mAh. The power switch turns the battery on AND off, and it is really well made. One draw back, is that the top port has too much fancy cell phone related circuitry attached, and it doesn't seem to work reliably for me. BUT, the bottom port is working perfectly, so I don't care. I have one of these, and another one on the way (I like to have spares, and at this price, why not).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FELGO9A/?tag=tdpri-20

Alamo likes this.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    My experience with those 18650 batteries in flashlights has been annoying. I actually prefer buying commercial grade alkaline Mallorys to using the short life rechargeables.
    Anyway your setup looks great and Im looking forward to future results.

Alamo likes this.

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    One more thing of note.

I was so thrilled when i found those 5v to 9v step up cables, but after using them for a while, I am finding them to be a bit fragile. The USB end, which also encloses the circuit board, allows too much play, and it has caused all sorts of problems for me as the cable begins to fail (I bought a bunch of them at about $1 each, so I had spares to swap in and prove that the converter cable was at fault).

Recently, I found a raw circuit board that does the up conversion, and is actually adjustable (so you can get 12v or 18v out of it too if you want). I've been building my own solution around these boards. I install the board in a small plastic box, and attach the wires myself (which means I can also fix them if they ever become unreliable). I am loving this solution.

13. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    What annoyed you with the 18650s? did you use protected ICRs? have a good charger?

throw-away rescources is what gets me. I try to avoid to pile on the landfill whenever I can.

xafinity likes this.

14. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Yes, those step up cables are rather fragile. I was silly enough to just order one cable all the way from China. :rolleyes:
    next time.

I'm really interested in what you found with these raw circuit boards.
    got some pics how you made it? :)

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The box is actually a 9V battery holder. I ripped the battery clip and wire and switch out of the box for this purpose. I install a female barrel connector on the output side, and I hardwire a cable on the input side and attach a USB connector on the end. I also drill a hole in the side of the box so that I can gain access to the voltage adjustment pot. The board is stuck to the box with double stick tape. If I could find a round panel mount micro USB jack, I would get rid of the hardwired cable on the input side, but I haven't found one yet.

The box is about $1, and the board is about $1. The USB plug, and the barrel jack are probably another $1 together. So maybe this thing cost me $3 to build. It is very sturdy though, and the only likely point of failure is the hardwired cable on the input side. Eventually, I might solve that too.

I've also thought about adding an LED, but haven't done so yet. I'd drill a small hole next to the barrel jack, and run the LED leads over to the connectors on the jack itself (through a current limiting resistor of course).

Maybe I should order a bunch of small blue LEDs tonight....

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG

Alamo likes this.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    For my smaller board, I wanted to put the box up against a side wall. So having the input wire come from that side wasn't practical. So I have also built one that has the barrel connector AND the hard wired USB cable coming from the same side. Works great that way too.

17. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    That's cool. what step-up converter did you use? I only find more expensive ones.

found one guy who made a similar box to yours. switchable from 9 to 12 volts, LED to check, plus more barrel outputs so he doesn`t have to use a daisy chain. (tidies it up too)

cp300-6.jpg
    sry, its in german
    https://pimpyourpedal.wordpress.com/category/pedalboard/

18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The board I use is an MT3608. You can search for them on eBay, Aliexpress, Amazon, etc. My last purchase was for a lot of 5, at a cost of $2.14 shipped from China :)

These boards are adjustable, but not switchable. They don't have 2 predefined output voltages (9V and 12V). Instead, there is a trim pot which is continuously adjustable up to about 28V I think. So there is no way to implement that sort of switching with these boards.

Putting more connectors on the box is interesting, but for my limited needs, I don't need the extra outputs. My output goes to a GigRig Distributor, effectively a fancy splitter. So 1 output is all I need. Nice touch though.

19. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, think I found those MT3608 :)
    since they aren't switchable wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of voltage meter display instead of an LED?
    you won't have to pull out the MM each time when adjusting, no?

only, which one would do the job for cheap? any ideas?

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    You shouldn't need to adjust them once they are setup. If you really need both 9V and 18V, you probably want to have two different converters anyway IMHO. But if you want to install a meter, I can't help you there - haven't done that, or researched what parts to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.