Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Power supplies for foreign countries

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by donthurtme, Feb 28, 2012.

  1. donthurtme

    donthurtme TDPRI Member

    Oct 29, 2010
    I am getting shipped to Beijing pretty soon, and my amps will be shipped over there too (a little bit later). One of my amps is already dual voltage, I just have to flip a switch and plug it into a wall. Some of my other ones will need some help though.

    I'm sure I can find a 200 watt converter in China without much of a problem (they're about $35 here), but I was wondering if there are any purpose-built solutions out there that people use? What's the deal with buffered supplies?

    One of the amps going over is a Dr Z. I don't want to screw that up, especially as the nearest authorized dealer is in Hong Kong. I've asked this same question of their customer service and I'm waiting for a response.

    I suppose I could swap input transformers on some, but I don't know enough about what makes a good transformer to go ahead and do that.

    Bonus, most wall warts are already dual voltage so at worst you need a plug adapter when you travel. That was useful news to me!

  2. BobbyZ

    BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

    Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Just buy a Honda gas powered genarator. Thay don't make much noise and gas is cheap.

    If your coming home I'd go with a good converter.

  3. StephaninMelb

    StephaninMelb Banned

    Jan 11, 2012
    Step Down transformers are very easy to source in China. Most of them are made there anyway. Over 80 million Chinese travel Internationally each year for business, pleasure and education and many people would know about these devices.

    The voltage in China is 220V / 50 Hz, except for Hong Kong where it is 200V / 50 Hz. You will find the society much more advanced than you can imagine. For example starting about two years ago China manufactured and sold internally 3 million more cars than USA. More Chinese people can afford to buy a car each year than Americans. They have that extensive 300+ km/h train system. It is easy there to handle technical issues.

    As far as your amps I wouldn't bother converting the amp power transformers to an International type unless you plan to live in China permanently. Step Down transformers work just fine. You plug them into the wall socket and they will have American sockets on the step down transformer. All you need to work out is the wattage you need, as they come in different wattage capacities. I've used this method with many tube amps. I wouldn't worry about your amps as this method is reliable and safe.

    Try and source step down transformers capable of 120V output with 220V source. Many 220V transformers output at 110V instead of 120V. It is best for the amps to have 120V output.

    Walmart power packs aren't rated at high enough wattage to work with a tube amp. The heavy duty step down transformers are the right type to get. They shouldn't be expensive in China.

    Attached Files:

  4. donthurtme

    donthurtme TDPRI Member

    Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks, I'll go with that plan. That's what Dr. Z recommended too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.