Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Power painters

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Ziggy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    I figured someone here would know something about this.

Does anyone know if the Power Painters are worthwhile? I have heard the brand Wagner and I remember seeing the commercials. I have just never tried one and don't know anyone that has.

I know that professional painters have a fairly expensive rig and I know that I can rent one.

But for home use such as painting walls does anyone know if these things are worthwhile?

2. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're doing large amounts of work, like trim for every room or a lot of commercial work then I'd say worth it. For the everyman I'd say pass.

I've been a house painter 10 years. Spraying is a hassle.

3. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Think Graco. Wagner is pretty much worthless. The productivity of an airless sprayer in measured in gallons per minute. You spend your time in prep, not spraying...I have a friend who did the entire interior of a 4 bedroom house in 3 hours. Home Depot, rent.

Bones likes this.

4. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    3 hours eh? I bet it looks like it too.

5. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Perfect. Really. All one color white though, no contrasting trim same white ceiling etc.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies.

Normally I can do pretty well rolling and cutting in.

I just need to paint a garage and the siding is textured. I have never tried using a heavy nap roller but it sounds like a mess waiting to happen so I thought I would try a sprayer.

7. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Sprayers also get into spots that rollers and even brushes struggle with. Great on textured siding, into corners etc. The good news is that you'd do the entire garage with a 4 hour rental. The bad news is that would probably set you back $75 or $100. I was faced with the same garage project this spring and went with a roller.

8. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Spraying also uses far more material then a brush and roller. I will concede that on shake siding or board and batten sprayer is better. The rest I'd still suggest brush and roller.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thanks again for the replies.

10. mtnpicker

mtnpicker TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2013
    OK
    Actually you have that backwards. A spray finish sits on top of the substrate vs a brush and roller that helps work the paint into pores. This is especially true on textured surfaces and grainy woods. Even when I spray, I like to backroll the finish, it produces a mush better finish than just spraying.

As far as the OP. I would steer away from the Wagner stuff and just rent. The fact that you don't have spray experience, I would also suggest that you forgo spraying and get you a good quality brush (2 1/2" -3") and a quality 1/2" -3/4" lambswool roller cover. Lambswool covers will not fling and pepper paint everywhere like the cheap covers do.

Most interior jobs (except new construction) can be done as quick if not quicker with a brush and roller than with a sprayer. By the time you mask for spraying and risk overspray issues and cleanup, you could have brushed and rolled it. It's very easy to mess up a spray finish and end up with uneven coverage, lines, runs and shadowing and your going to waste a lot of paint, especially if you have to do it again. Just 32yrs of experience speaking.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    Ahh!! Great tip! I have had that problem. Every time I roll I get "speckles" all over the floor and trim.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Another vote here against Wagner and that class of sprayers. I've been through maybe 4 of them, all difficult to use, and ultimately I end up brushing or rolling finish to get it looking decent anyway. Have to fool with conditioner ("Flow-Trol"), thin it just right, small pots are a PITA to keep refilling, Wagner's pressure/pump pots are cranky and hard to use.

100% agree with the advice that if you absolutely, positively have to spray, rent an airless one, but make sure it's been cleaned properly and functions before you get it home. Those are very sensitive to proper cleaning, and well, you know, it's a rental, right? And you will probably have sags, runs, and spots you'll need to touch up with a brush or roller any way.

Have to remark that your first response is from a guy who makes his living at this, and God knows, if he could find a way to do it faster, and at least as good, or better than the old tried-and-true methods, can anyone doubt he would do it? Just sayin. . . .

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thanks again!

I have never used one so I am glad to learn from others' experience.

14. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    If you use a higher quality product it will reduce the flecks as well.

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but "Wagner" isn't actually a dirty word. It's the DIY brand of a very capable line of products from Capspray. I used a Wagner brand HVLP system that came with the same gun as the professional Capspray turbine setup. But those are HVLP turbine kits that are good for furniture or guitars; you wouldn't paint a garage with them.

There are several other types of sprayers. "Air assisted airless" are another type where you need a compressor just to feed the material from a big can to the spraygun - that's what you would be renting for a large house paint job. Piston "airless" sprayers are the noisy buzzy tools that you get at the home center, and yes Wagner is a common brand for that product. I used a swiss-made airless piston type gun to paint a picket fence and it was worthwhile for that job - but it doesn't really put out enough paint to be worthwhile for siding or trim on a garage. Aside from the lack of real capability to move large amounts of material, when you use a piston sprayer you need to thin the paint. Even then, for latex paint the results aren't very smooth so you need to tip them off with a brush or roller (making the spraying step a waste of time) or you at least need to use an additive like Floetrol in the hopes that the orange-peel or gritty texture has a chance to level out before the paint hardens.

16. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2016
    AK
    ya those Wagner power sprayers are total junk & only lead to frustration (tried to paint a fence with one). on the other hand.... I bought a "Wagner" airless to paint a couple houses with & its great.... of course it was made by DeVilbiss (name cast into the pump). between me & family it's did 2 houses, sat 6-7 years (properly stored) did a house, sat 4-5 years (stored) did a house, (stored) did another house. I still have it & have no doubt it could repeat that sequence if needed. I could have sold it but it don't take up much room.

best way to get the penetration on rough surfaces is to have a helper. spray on the paint & have the helper following & roll it in as you move along. and it is faster.... you just stick the pickup tube into the 5 gal bucket and just blow material right on. the guy spraying doesn't have to cut so close either.... the roller guy can do the "fine tune" near windows, there will be plenty of paint for the roller without using pans.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

17. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    A cheap but still good quality hvlp system I'd recommend is the Fuji hobby line. It's a twin turbine system and the results you get for the investment is pretty respectable.

18. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    One thing they don't show you in the Wagner commercials is how loud their sprayers are!! Good grief , they could wake the dead. Not very efficient or accurate either.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    LOL, yes! Think that fire drill buzzer from your school days. Well, maybe not quite that loud.

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    By the time you finish a 12 x 16 deck it is:eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.