Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Potting a connector?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Milspec, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I was soldering up some patch cables and my nephew stopped by to borrow some tools. He is a huge internet video watcher and normally parrots some stupid advice that he found on the internet and on the surface, this sounded like one. After soldering a couple of connections I started to wonder maybe it was actually good advice?

He suggested that I should fill the cavity between the hot and ground wires of my switchcraft connector with hot glue to act as an insulator and to prevent any wire movement within the plug. I have never heard of doing such a thing, but I can't really say that it was a bad idea either really. It would be similar to filling a socket with dialectic grease only this would be a rigid substance.

So I ask you, anyone fill their connectors with hot glue after soldering? Would it really be a benefit or am I missing something?

2. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I use small pieces of thermo contractile tube, but it's tricky.
    It appears to be a better idea to fill the space, but not with hot glue. There's a product called "liquid insulation tape" which could be more effective, in my opinion.
    Anyway, test the cable prior to apply the stuff, because remove it to do a repair will be virtually impossible.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That is the one concern that I have, trying to repair the connector if needed. Then again, hot glue melts at less than 100 degrees which is far lower than the solder, so I guess it could just be melted away. It has me intrigued, but I have never heard of such a thing and I have been soldering for a lot of years.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Heat shrink sleeving + strain relief works. Why complicate things?
    If the strain relief is done correctly, how much movement occurs within the connector body anyway. You could pack the body out with offcuts of packing foam if you wanted to add mechanical restraint, but honestly?, why bother. Build it correctly and you'll not have any worries.

5. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    I put insulation tape around the hot wire and the tab for no other reason than paranoia. Followed by heat shrink.

I don't really see what the hot glue would do. If there is that much movement, your whole solder joint would have to have come apart.

If that's happening, I'd suggest the correct remedy is more practice or have someone else make the cables.

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I always do the shrink wrap and have not run into problems over the years, but I make no claims to being the smartest either. I just found it interesting and was wondering if that approach had merit? It doesn't sound like too many find it useful, so I will keep doing things the traditional way unless someone can make a strong case to the contrary.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Some of the sturdiest patch cables I've owned were manufactured ones that had some kind of plastic insulation around the soldered joints. I seem to recall it was similar to a silicone material.

I use pre-built cables these days (the EBS flat ones, specifically). But, I've had a few guitar cables go bad recently at the connector... Got me thinking I may tear into them, repair them and fill the connector with some kinda goo....

8. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The idea is kind of neat but how would you do it? This video shows it for an open connector and there's some aerospace stuff but not for 1/4 inch plugs.

if you come up with a solution the snake oil claims you could make .....

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Dialectic grease:
    A substance used to ease the friction between people trying to establish a truth through reasoning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.