Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pots with mixed Pups ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buckobell, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You could use a .047 cap inline with the neck pickup to cut the mud.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    330k pots are one techs secret.

buckobell likes this.

3. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    @TRexF16, you are THE MAN!!
    I'm onboard with this plan, in fact last night I unsoldered the top leg of the .05 cap thinking it was filtering the neck PUP in position 2. Are you saying this is the 'mud' filter for position 3? It still sounds muddy to me.

Edit: I received this message from 920D, "That resistor (15K) actually helps the humbucker to see it's proper volume load to keep it from getting too muddy with the 250K pots. Removing that resistor would probably make things considerably darker..."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yes sir, as I understand it that .050 cap just comes into play in position 3. There should be no cap on the humbucker in position 2. Are you saying it still sounds muddy in position 2?
    I went directly with the jumper wire in place of the resistor when I did my Micawber build, at the suggestion of another builder, so I never did a comparison with/without that resistor in place. My understanding was it is to help keep volume balance, but I'll defer to the smarter guys here.
    In position 2 I get a good neck humbucker sound, not super bright, but "normal." I should add I am using a SD SH-1n '59 in the neck. In position 3 (with the .010 cap "hard wired") it sounds like a neck humbucker with the tone knob about halfway (or not quite so much) rolled back - useful and slightly woman-tone-ish, but not something I think Keef ever uses. It's kind of OK for parts of Tumblin' Dice. In position 1, with the no-load blend pot I can get "pure" bridge single coil when in the detent, then roll in the neck to darken and "open" up the sound as I roll back the pot. Lot's of people think Keef's is wired this way since just about every video of him playing Micawber is in position 1 but he is pretty clearly getting some neck in the mix too sometimes.
    With the .050 cap desoldered on one leg I am surprised pos 3 still sounds muddy. I would expect it to sound about like pos 2 now, but don't fully understand the contribution of the resistor.
    You might try desoldering one leg of the resistor and just jumpering those 2 lugs with a short piece of wire and a couple alligator clips to see what difference that makes. I could well be missing something by not using it and am interested in what you find. It's great that Teles' guts are so accessible for such tests.

Keep us posted on your results.

Cheers,
    Rex

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    dug out the modified diagram I went by on my build. You can see the notes the builder added.
    Broadcaster_joenotes-791x1024.jpg

buckobell likes this.

6. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    Thanks again for the schematic. I'll work on this over the weekend and let you know what results. As a second option I am considering a stacked dual concentric 250/500k volume pot in a traditional three way, volume, tone setup.

7. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like you are well on your way, but I just happened to see this Fender Offset guitar yesterday with WRHB neck and standard bridge pickups. The info says it has: Master Volume Control (Dual 500k/250k).

https://www.makenmusic.com/pages/fender-limited-edition-offset-telecaster-fsr

Found this thread on Seymour Duncan forum but they seem to be talking more about the dual concentric volume pots. But the Fender listed above only has a single volume control. My uneducated guess is that there are two pots connected to the same volume knob. Each pickup runs through the correct vol pot when selected. Not sure how it works when both pickups are selected. This guitar also has an S1 tone control to split the neck HB.

Anyway, just found it interesting when I saw this thread here.

buckobell likes this.

8. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.