Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pots with mixed Pups ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buckobell, Jul 2, 2018.

1. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    Hey folks. I'm working on my first telecaster build roughly similar to a Micawber. I've got a Fender '64 bridge pickup and looking at a Brandonwound Wide Range humbucker for the neck. Or maybe something you guys suggest that's not over $100.
    Obviously the '64 is designed for a 250K pot, but what about the Brandonwound? Maybe 500K?

So what pot value should I use for the volume and tone to keep all the high end of the WRHB yet not make the '64 sound thin, or visa versa make the WRHB sound dark and muddy?

Maybe two volumes and no tone? Krazy!!

Oh, and if anyone has a WRHB or three saddle compensated bridge, tuners for sale, PM me. :)
    IMG_0850.JPG

DHart and nojazzhere like this.
  2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good looking guitar. Isn't that a standard humbucker route not a WRHB?

3. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    Yes, it started as a tele single coil, I routed for a GFS Split coil HB which was DOA. (Not buying from them again) and now I'm open to re-routing for a correctly designed WRHB. Nothing my Dremmel can't handle.

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Beautiful guitar.

I mix neck humbuckers with Tele bridge pickups and use 500k Volume pot with 250k No-Load tone pot.

When playing the neck humbucker the tone pot is bypassed (no-load position), as I like a clear, articulate and sparkly bright neck humbucker tone. With the bridge pickup, I may roll the tone off a little, at times.

Works well for me. Of course, YMMV.

2blue2 and buckobell like this.
  5. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice work. You have a steadier hand than I! Can't wait to see the finished product.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Sorry you had bad experience with GFS....they're not always my first choice for parts but I have never had a BAD experience.

7. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    What's the story on that body? It's a beauty.

radiocaster and buckobell like this.
  8. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the info and comments! I'm a nervous guitar builder, and made a few mistakes already.

The body was a freebie from a friend who abandoned his true-oil finish job about 90% complete. It was a terrible orange, kind of like nasty old pine floor orange. I used oven cleaner to remove all the true-oil and stain he applied. After that was cleaned up I sanded from 100-250 grit then sprayed the body with StewMac Tinted Nitro. It's thin and uneven, so there is still work to be done.

9. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    250K no load seems to be the ticket!! I'll try that. Cap value on that tone?

10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    If you want some room to experiment with the pots and tone cap values without having to rewire, install one of the Tone Shapers NextGen kits.

ETA: One of the things the NextGen kits do is auto-range the volume pot so that you can have the right one for each pickup when they're not mixed. You also get a choice of vintage or modern wiring. All of it is selected with DIP switches.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    6l6-57 and buckobell like this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    There are a couple of options. You can get a stacked 250/500K volume pot to give each a correct resistance value, you can choose an intermediate compromise value such as 375K (I did this on my baritone Tele with a bucker in the bridge), or you can just keep the 500 and get muddy sound with the bucker, typical Tele bridge tone, and just never use the bucker. This is what Keef does.

buckobell likes this.
  12. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    STACKED POTS! I had no idea.

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    actually, don't worry about it.. assuming your choice is 250k or 500k.. while there is a difference, it's isn't gonna blow ya away either eway..

kinda like having the choice between a totally tricked Camaro, or an outrageous Mustang.... both are different rides to be sure, but either is gonna get ya to the Krogers and back in time to find out what ya forgot.

rk

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    eallen and buckobell like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    On one of my Teles with humbuckers I found a 1M volume pot (it measured at 940k) was just right for the tone I wanted. With a 250k No-Load (bypass) tone pot. I like a .022mf capacitor. You may like that, or .047mf, which is more restrictive of the highs - when you roll off on the tone pot, that is.

The specific pickup brand and model of the pickups, and the guitar characteristics itself, need to be taken into consideration when deciding on pots and caps.

You should measure the pots, don’t go by what is stamped on the housing. Nearly every pot that I’ve measured has come in lower (darker sounding) than the rating stamped on the pot.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    buckobell likes this.
  15. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    Happens pretty often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 6l6-57

6l6-57 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Covington GA USA
    That's neat. The next thing I have to decide for my S/HB conversion is what wiring and pots.

17. buckobell

buckobell TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2011
    St. Louis
    Hey folks, here is the finished* guitar. At this time I have a Brandonwound WRHB neck and a K-Line custom wound bridge pup. I decided on a 920D Broadcaster Blender circuit. With this scenario the neck sounds amazing, but a bit dark, and the bridge sounds a bit weak and bright. So, not the best of both worlds, kind of a compromise where neither sounds it's best. The loaded control plate includes a .05 cap and a 15K resistor. The .05 makes the neck do that neck mud thing in the original Broadcaster. I'm not sure what the 15k resistor is doing, any ideas?

The GFS tuners are not good, but that Wilkinson bridge is fine. 68895204-AAFC-4BD3-BBDF-2A3F9F64738D.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 12.06.51 PM.png

18. Ron Kirn is on target as a master always is!

I find the bigger issue often being getting q humbucker that plays well with a single. That said, my favorite with a single in the neck is Bill Lawrence L90 2.0 henry at widlepickups. Dont grab a mega henry pup & expect it to always play well with a single.

Eric

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Try these simple changes to your blend circuit if you want to open it up a little. And don't forget that Keef tends to strum up where the neck meets the body, which has a lot to do with his tone too.

EDIT: When I wrote the "neck-only position" in the notes below I meant the full forward position 3, not position 2 where you get neck only with no cap to darken it.

Broacaster Blend with notes.jpg
    Cheers,
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.