Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pots - different brands ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bartholomew3, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Just put new Fender branded pots into an old tele so I guess they would be CTS. Work well but not as tight as the Les Paul which I have to do next. Plus the CTS shafts seems to almost wobble - very slightly.

Had Alpha pots on an Epi SG and thought they were really good so don't understand why everyone seems to want to replace them. Although that guitar sounded like it had a blanket over the amp so maybe the pot K ratings were too low, poor quality control.

Seeing all kinds of different things out there. What's the diff between a Dimarzio Custom Taper and a regular CTS - anybody know ? What about the Emerson from Stewmac which is really a CTS to their specs ? How about RS ?

Not a tele but what is the diff between a Gibson 500K audio and a Gibson "Historic" ? Seems like marketing hype to me. Also have a modern LP Studio which has 300K audio volume split-coil and also 500K linear tone - rather than 500K audio on both --- works really well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

2. pictacado

pictacado TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Los Angeles
    From what I understand the Emerson CTS pots are the same as CTS they just have tighter tolerances. So a regular CTS might have a 20% tolerance where the Emerson CTS should have 8% tolerance.

Amby likes this.

3. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Getting into pot brands, values, types and so on can be a huge journey. Been through it again and again myself and end up not really noticing much of a difference between them especially when playing live. A lot of the nuances you hear at home playing at 3.00am seem to go out the window playing in a hot, loud, sweaty bar.

Agree with you on Alpha pots. The internet has decided that when we buy any guitar with Alpha pots we must immediately rip them out and solder in some from CTS. Will we hear the difference? Maybe, but not certainly.

Weeman333, Chicago Matt and 8barlouie like this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I replaced my stock Epi linear pots with Biorn audio taper pots and the difference was very surprising. I selected Biorns because their outside dimensions are smaller than CTS and fit through the slightly smaller Sheraton II "f"-holes. Definitely higher quality, but difficult to separate the quality from the linear to audio improvement.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I use Bourns pots lately, I like the feel better.
    Where I decided to buy a couple for testing was finding out Bourns were put in the production EVH tour guitar model in the last couple of years. He does 'a few' volume swells each concert all tour season and they survive so they have the nod toward durability.

I measure actual kohms of any pots before installing.

Weeman333 likes this.

6. freddarl82

freddarl82 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Mojotone also does this with their "Mojotone Vintage Taper" pots. 7% tolerance, "Custom 30% taper" (which is supposed to be more like the old vintage pots), etc. BIG deal to me is they turn much easier than the standard CTS pots I've bought elsewhere. I like them.
    http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...per-CTS-250K-Guitar-Potentiometer-Split-Shaft
    (These are found on the Mojotone website under "CTS pots."

I bought some Bourns once -- the Model 82 with the blue case. Problem was, they all checked out at the full extreme of the 10% tolerance...at the LOW end , so a 250K metered out at 225-230K. Every single one I was sent...so they never made it into one of my guitars.

7. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Tn
    I had some in my strat with cs tx spls and with a treble bleed the bridge is too brittle. without it, they feel, and sound great. And plus, no soldering to the back of the pot. I think I’m a bourns model 82 convert.

Attached Files:

8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I really never had issue with alpha pots but try to use cts when I can, again, never an issue.

9. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I prefer Alpha for guitar pedals because I feel they're stiffer to turn, and CTS for guitars 'cause they're looser, especially those with that dimple in the center, IME, YMMV. Another thing I've been doing is measuring pots with a DMM before installation, just to make sure they're dead on the value of the pot that's going to be replaced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.