Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Post your clean setup here

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DaphneBlue, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    My "clean" clean is Tele or Strat into a Bearhug compressor (more often on than off) into a Vox + amp reverb + a little delay sometimes. That's it.

Similarly to Moosie, I'll use a modulation pedal, like trem, vibe or phase but not so often.

DaphneBlue likes this.

2. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    I bought my first really nice amp, well it was really nice to me....a 68 Deluxe Reverb RI. It took a day before I started plugging directly into it. Both a Gibson 335 and 175 are perfect that way. My Tele, seems to enjoy a little help with the compressor petal but thats about it. I don't play with crunch and can get what I need direct from amp and guitar tone controls.

DaphneBlue likes this.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    My old Mkiii Boogie with an EVM speaker has every clean tone I could want. An MXR microamp, warms things up a bit. The 200w rated EVM has loads of glassy, rich headroom.

A vintage 80’s rack delay and a modern Lexicon Reverb unit handle time based & ambient stuff in the loop if I want.

I also LOVE the clean tones plugging straight into my ‘79 JMP 50w Master Lead 2x12” esp. since making the bright cap switchable.

DaphneBlue and telemnemonics like this.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    IMG_0360.JPG For a clean sound I like a Black Facey type scooped tone... think Super Reverb. This rig is the best I have ever run and its just a bit 'tighter' than my old Supers but this actually helps when I need to get them up a bit loud. Stays together a bit better. The dirty sound is WAY thumpier, but I digress. Click on the Ethos dirty side or BD-2 and roll the volume back, very musical 'clean' with soul.

Very old pic..

FrontPU, 24 track and DaphneBlue like this.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Bunch of guitars>pedals>2 Champ 12's as a stereo or wet dry pair. Their all decked out with hand picked RCA 7025, Sylvania 5751 and GE or Sylvania 6L6GC. Tone Tubby 40/40 speakers in both.

Usual pedals for clean will be VFE Rocket or Pinball>VFE White Horse>VFE Old school trem>Kingsley Page>Adineko, VFE Ravine, PDS 20/20, Hardwire DL-8 for delays, Hardwire RV-7, Hermida Reverb 3 for reverb. Adineko>Hermida Reverb 3 is my fav Delay/reverb combo at moment, their set up on right amp only so when I kick them on I'm running wet/dry. That is some righteous clean tone with White Horse pushing both sides. Amp drive chan is set up to just do a slightly boosted hairy clean, I'll kick on just left amp for lead boost.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Whatever guitar I'm playing into a '63-reissue Vibroverb with all the pedals turned off except the MXR Micro Amp. Sweet, full and jangly

DaphneBlue likes this.

7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Fender single coils or Firebird pups into a clean amp.....usually a Blonde 6g6b Bass,am clone by Lil Dawg, or the Vox channel on my Mesa TA15....

Effects....? Either a Belle Epoch or Memphis Sun for some Echo to create space, or if I am in a freaky mood, a Keeley Dynomyroto Pedal.

But usually it is low out put pups straight in.

telemnemonics and DaphneBlue like this.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Indeed!

Although, for me, I'll add one pedal for my "dream clean" rig.

Thinskin Jazzmaster -> Dano PB&J Delay -> 1968 Deluxe Reverb with the Reverb ~3

Sweet, warm, and spacious.....

DaphneBlue likes this.

9. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Gretsch 6117, cable, BF Bassman. Volume at 3/3.5

10. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    new techniques mentioned here. it's great to read this!

11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Tele, Strat or LP
    Xotic SP compressor
    Zendrive (On for bright clean, edge of breakup. Off for warmer, "jazzier" tone)
    Flashback X4 (Delay1: spacey strumming, Delay 2: long slapback, Delay3: short slapback)
    TCE Arena (a little spring reverb)
    1980 Fender Vibro Champ

*Edited to add SP*

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    4pickupguy and DaphneBlue like this.

12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

13. RajDonYasser

RajDonYasser TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Right here
    Here's what I used last night to accompany a vocalist. I really had to brush up on my technique preparing for these shows since there's no drums, bass, piano, etc., to hide any sloppy playing. Previously I just brought a volume pedal but I recently added Dunlop Echoplex Preamp to add some "oomph" to my clean tone and the MXR carbon copy for some echo on a couple Les Paul & Mary Ford covers (the singer particularly liked the slapback guitar on "Bye Bye Blues").

IMG_3490.JPG
    [​IMG]

24 track and DaphneBlue like this.

14. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland

volume pedals combined with preamps are so sweet!

15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I can totally relate to this. I too am happier with a more mid-forward clean sound. It seems to me like it makes it easier to leave my amp set one way and have the ability to induce a little bit of crunchy edge if I really pop the strings or dig in with my pick, while leaving me plenty of clean "wiggle room" if I pick softer or use a pick-and-fingers hybrid picking approach.

I've been using a late-eighties Special 150, and for me it does not work as a channel-switching amp...the dirty channel is like instant hyperspace. The clean channel is nicely adjustable, though, with a three-band passive EQ and an active presence control. I cut the bass back to about 2 and crank the mids and treble, and usually cut the presence back to a little shy of noon to keep the bite under control. This makes for a clean sound with the vocal-sounding mids mentioned above. Plenty bright, but doesn't make your teeth hurt. Plenty of clean headroom if the clean volume is below 5 or so, and with a Special 150 adjusted this way and turned up to 4-5, pants will flap.

I use a compressor pedal with the Peavey--either an old DOD FX82 or an Ibanez CP5 set for mild compression and just a touch of signal boost--and just a hint of the amp's spring reverb. I mostly play a one-humbucker Squier strat these days, with the stock pickup lowered a bit. Lowering the pickup makes it sound better clean. It's a pretty bright guitar and having the pickup higher makes it punchier but also kind of harsh. I don't need punch; I play pretty hard.

Recently I've been playing a lot of bass and have discovered that I can get a similar sound and feel from the Zoom B-2 bass modeler/preamp that I use. The clean amp model I use for that is the Zoom's Hartke 3500 model, which can get plenty bright with a guitar going into it. Add a touch of Zoom compression and a hint of reverb and I'm there. I recently got an AudioKinesis bass cab that I really like. It's got four FaitalPRO 8" woofers in it and no tweeter and it sounds great with my guitar and lap steel too. So right now I'm using instrument>Zoom B-2>Peavey M-3000 power amp>AudioKinesis Birdhaus 48 cabinet.

telemnemonics and DaphneBlue like this.

16. RajDonYasser

RajDonYasser TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Right here
    This is literally a brand new pedal-chain for me, having only purchased the EchoPre yesterday and it's absolutely what the doctor ordered for my clean tones. In smaller rooms, where I can't turn the amp up past 1:00 or 2:00, this does the trick. I'm going to write a short review cause I'm so pleased!

DaphneBlue likes this.

17. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You're not alone, I use my orange for clean in the same way I don't need my mids scooping but the mids knob can do if that's what I need. It does have built-in spring reverb but it's not boinging one just to add some room ambience not too different from your use of analogue delay.

18. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I have two that I bounce between depending on what I’m playing at a given time:

1. Vibrolux Reverb with amp trem and ‘verb. Fender Starcaster.
    2. Strat into Mesa Boogie V:25 with MXR Carbon Copy, Red Witch Empress and Keeley 4-knob.

DaphneBlue likes this.

19. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    The great thing about this is that you get both clean and with gain all in one!

FrontPU and DaphneBlue like this.

20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I am really enjoying the sound of the Cabronita Tele, to the '68 Princeton, with the Bogner Harlow and some Catalinbread echorec.

DaphneBlue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.