Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Post your clean setup here

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DaphneBlue, Nov 5, 2017.

1. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Hey everybody!

I mainly play acoustic but I play electric, too. I'm all about clean, warm and atmospheric sounds, adding sometimes a bit of grit. What about you?

I usually play my avri jazzmaster in a roland blues cube hot or a fender hot rod deluxe. On my pedal board you'll find ehx pedals: cathedral, pulsar and hot tubes.

Now, show us what you've got! I'm really interested in what your clean setup is and why you chose this or that.

2. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

My clean chain is SRV strat > Euphoria (Open or Smooth modes) > Replica delay or Supernatural (spring or plate mode) > Blues Deville clean channel.

Euphoria's Open mode gives me 'more' of the amp's clean channel, Smooth mode adds a touch of grit when digging in. Replica set low adds a 3rd dimension to my sound, almost like running a stereo rig, OR Supernatural spring is a more lush verb than in my amp, giving me that sweet Twin Reverb thing.

3. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    Amp Reverb
    EXH Holy Grail Nano Reverb (to add to amp spring reverb when needed)
    Carbon Copy Delay (slap back and light spacey/ambient type sounds)
    Joyo Tremolo (don't use this one a lot)

I like to keep it simple and fairly economical. I am really just experimenting with ambient sounds at this point.
    Minimalist518 and DaphneBlue like this.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    For cleans I plug any given guitar directly into a Super 210.
    Jakeboy, czech-one-2 and DaphneBlue like this.

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    This probably isn't what you mean, but my clean setup is a 66 Deluxe Reverb. Just the built-in reverb and tremolo

6. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    This is what I mean ;) An amp and a guitar are sometimes enough!
    daddyplaysbass likes this.

7. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017

Oh yeah I understand that thing about stereo rig!

8. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Depending on volume into a non master volume amp or AC15 set up clean (master up/gain down). The louder we play, the less between guitar and amp. Nothing when very LOUD. At less volume I use a DOD Juicebox, guitar volume down a bit for a little soft clipping. At low volume I use a Boss SD1, gain down low, guitar volume down for clean. This way there is always a little hair on the clean tone rather than pristine clean.
    DaphneBlue likes this.

9. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    My clean setup is either one of these two:

Guitar -> clean boost -> delay -> 65 Blackface Princeton Reverb clone (w/reverb)
    Guitar -> clean boost -> delay -> 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb (Vintage channel w/reverb)
    DaphneBlue likes this.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    My favorite clean set up is Sheraton II (w/ Alnico II low outputs) > VFE White Horse Comp > VFE Old School Trem > SST room reverb > VHT S6U.
    DaphneBlue likes this.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    I like a classic British non master volume distortion amp turned down for clean sounds, rather than a classic "American" scooped mids clean amp with boinging spring reverb.

The old time British circuits have more vocal sounding mids, and to my ear also have more sustain, again for a more vocal quality as opposed to a percussive quality.

An analog delay is always on with several short repeats and a low mix so it just adds some ambience or room sound. A tapped delay is better bacuse it has repeats at different rhythmic locations for a more natural reverby sound rather than a rhythmic slapback.

Edit: Forgot the guitar, usually an Esquire but lately a Strat with only a bridge JM pickup, because the angle of the Tele (and Strat) bridge pickup makes that high E string too damn bright. On the Esquire I have to treat the high E as almost a different instrument.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Of the amps I own, what I like the most right now, is a Rivera S120-210 with a TC G-Major 2 in the loop. Maybe a comp and dirt pedal or two before the amp. Most any of my guitars works well.

The best clean sound I ever achieved was my '66 Epi Riviera into a '71 Twin Reverb with an extension cab hosting a JBL D-130F. No pedals.
    DaphneBlue likes this.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Clean, dirty, and everything in between all in one rig.

The QSC K10 monitors put out 1,000 watts RMS of clean power EACH.

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    I plug my tele into my vibrolux, a twin or a blues jr. depending on the gig.
    daddyplaysbass and DaphneBlue like this.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Clean is where I live. Very little edge of breakup tone. No crunch.

So, all my gear is my "clean setting". But to pick a few...

CS '63 Strat with Big Dipper pickups, into a '69 Twin Reverb (modern Jensen C12Ns)

AV '65 Jazzmaster into '71 Super Reverb (CTS alnicos)

ES-175 into '77 DR (JBL)

Moving bottom to top, right to left, the Empress Compressor is always on. Subtle, but I really miss it when it's off.

The Wampler Black is an overdrive, but I usually use it with gain on zero. I only play at home, and it makes the big Fenders sound a bit more open, like they're turned up louder than 2, yet still clean. Not really necessary, but it does a little special something, and every time I think about dumping it.... it stays.

Timmy is obvious, and not part of the clean sound.

Pettyjohn Chime is also overdrive, but more subtle, more clean boost. It doesn't stomp and compress the native guitar sound.

JAM Chill is a sine wave tremolo. Even though all my amps have it, this gives me more control. I use it a LOT.

JAM Retro Vibe is the best vibe I've played. It gets used for that Hendrix-inspired chordal ballad work.

All three delays are great. The Maxon AD-900 really sounds good. Nice, clear repeats. My delay tones are mostly slap, from the tile bathroom smack!, to that laggy two-repeat tha-thunk of some Travis-picked rockabilly.

Until yesterday, I had an ambient reverb in the empty spot. Blackout Effectors Cadavernous Pandimensional Reverberator :D.

I use more spring reverb than is probably good for my health. Mostly the onboard tanks, but occasionally I'll enhance it with the Boss FRV-1. It does that metallic drip really well.

I'm thinking of taking the cash from the Cadavernous and perhaps the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, and putting it towards something like a Big Sky or Timeline. Or maybe the Empress ambient offerings...

There's also a Neo Ventilator II on a separate little board - but still in the signal chain. It's a niche sound that I don't use a lot, but when it's needed, nothing else will do.

Most of the time, the only pedals that are engaged are the compressor, and maybe a hint of slap.
    telemnemonics, Iago and DaphneBlue like this.

16. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Here it is. Cleeeean! 20170427_081441.jpg
    mimmo, irie, daddyplaysbass and 7 others like this.

17. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    I'm learning a lot here! especially about delay! I've never experienced it that much!
    telemnemonics likes this.

18. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Currently my pedalboard is divided into two mutually exclusive loops, i e they cannot be on at the same time and act like two channels... One is geared towards dry overdriven and distorted rhythm and lead with delay whereas the other is used for clean and semi clean sounds with delay and tremolo.

The clean chain consists of
    1. cheap Mooer compressor with bright mode
    2. Paul Cochrane Tim
    3. EHX Freeze
    4. Empress Tremolo
    5. Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay

The compressor is only used for sparkling clean sounds (very rarely) and never together with the Tim

The Tim is on almost always in the lower gain mode and sometimes in the higher gain/lead mode, the latter when more push and sustain is wanted.

The Freeze is used together with the delay to created pads / fill out the sound

The tremolo although nice is very seldom used in the current band.

The delay sees a lot of use since I play a lot of atmospheric arpeggio stuff. It is turned off for more rhythmic choppy parts though.
    DaphneBlue likes this.

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    My clean setup.
    Strum harder for a louder sound.
    Strum lighter for a softer sound.
    Wiggle my fingers a bit for vibrato tones.
    If I move away from the microphone and then move back, I can make tremolo sounds.
    Built-in reverb.

Nickadermis, FrontPU, karpis and 7 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.