Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Post shots of you Maple Cap Telecasters

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zac, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Yes it's mine

I've had this one for about 5 years now, I have put up pics before, but that was in The Dark Side, that other Telecaster Discussion Forum here, before they put up this Vintage Forum:cool:

2. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Terry,

You don't need me to tell you that you have a crazy cool and rare guitar. Love it. BTW, do you know Marcello, with Eastgate? He is the only vintage guy I know in your neck of the woods.

Zac

3. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Deleted post.

4. oerligur

oerligur TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    denmark

5. oerligur

oerligur TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    denmark
    Hey you guys.... I just bought this Fender Custom Telecaster.. but im not sure of the specs on the guitar... year, Exact model etc...

Des 164,227
    Pat 2,573,54 2,784,631

It doesnt have a serial number.. only Des + Pat[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    // Mikkel

Attached Files:

6. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2006
    hampton beach nh
    I have 3 maple cap necks. 2 '68's finished in nitro and one from '69 finished in poly. I find them more stabile, less prone to bowing, when the weather changes than any of my one piece maple necks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I agree about the stability factor. I know from experience with a certain maple cap 68 paisley guitar I had to string and tune multiple times a week.

8. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2011
    Amsterdam
    you change strings multiple times a week?

damn....my tele is from 2011 and still has the original strings on it.

i understand the paisley you are talking about must get a lot of playtime...but why so many new strings?

arent they a b*th to keep in tune?

9. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

Sep 29, 2012
    maryland
    Beautiful Tele, that front and back binding sure adds class.

10. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Some artists think they need new strings all the time:p

You have to stretch them a bunch to keep them in tune. Also lubricate the nut every couple of string changes.

11. tele53

tele53 Tele-Meister

May 28, 2004
    4 Teles, I have a 69 Maple cap as well which were only on the very early ones of the year as I see you have a January. Mine also has original larger than vintage frets. Anyone else have that on their maple caps?

12. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2006
    hampton beach nh
    tele53, my '69 neck had severely worn vintage frets when I got it. I had it refretted with a larger size.

13. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    My 67 had very wide and low frets on it. I had it refretted with 95x47 frets, which are a bit shorter and wider than 6105's, but not as small as vintage. Great frets.

14. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    For Terry,

Here is a black bound, blonde 1965 Custom Esquire, that a neck pickup was added, and a new logo added in 67/68 at the Fender factory. Later, Richard Bennett had Dave Evans add a "Pull String," or b-bender. This photo is from an interview I did with Richard Bennett for Vintage Guitar Magazine years ago. If you want to read the article, it is here: http://www.vintageguitar.com/3012/richard-bennett/

[​IMG]
    Bennett Tele by Captain Zippy, on Flickr

15. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    For Zac

That is a cool Tele! Didn't realize that the Black Bound Blonds were as early as '65, but nothing surprises me about Fender from that time.
    I bought this off Ebait a couple of years ago and haven't got around to putting some pickups in it, thinking about some Don Mares. I heard these were done for a series of orders from England and that most went there, which is where mine came from.
    Mine has a shrunken Guard on it and a rout in front. Maybe I should send it to Gene and get it B Bent![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I would only put a bender on a refin myself, but that is your call. That is still a very cool guitar. Put some good pickups in it and enjoy it.

17. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    This is what Bill Crook told me too....but you probably already heard it from him too...

Hope all is good for you Zac.

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I'm thinking of snapping some photos of mine.

What do you kids think?

;)

19. Crookedbeat

Crookedbeat NEW MEMBER!

Mar 30, 2013
    New York
    New question regarding maple cap teles. Does anyone know if fender offered black as a custom finish in 67/68? Thank you.

20. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I have seen black maple caps, both standard and customs. My favorite black maple cap is the Dylan/Robertson one that Robbie stripped and used until he moved to Strats. I think it is a 64

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.