Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Post shots of you Maple Cap Telecasters

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zac, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I like all vintage Tele's, but I think the 64-68 maple caps are some of the best guitars Fender ever made. Here is my 1967. Post yours.

image-801575744.jpg

Zac

2. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    The blonde is my 68 maple cap. The silver sparkle is a 69 one piece neck.
    ForumRunner_20130302_092253.jpg

3. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Very nice!

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

5. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    In the avatar. 68....

6. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    [​IMG][/url] old pink by Captain Zippy, on Flickr[/IMG]

I really liked the neck on this one, then it was playing Pat Bergeson's 67 Esquire, and Dan Strain's 66 and 67 maple cap guitars that made me raise the cash to get mine.

7. chadadiah

chadadiah TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Orange County
    I'm a recent convert to the joys of maple caps.

[​IMG]

8. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Tell us , why did they make the maple cap? was it only made for those years('64-'68)? I guess no stripe on back of neck.I know one of my partscasters is a cap,but it's not a Fender

9. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    When Fender went rosewood, they changed tooling. So when they had requests for maple necks, they just put a maple veneer, or cap on the neck that would have gotten a rosewood cap. They are quite rare in 64 and 65, but very common for 66 thru 68. And finally, they offered maple necks with skunk stripes again in 1969.

10. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Thanks ,Zac. Another thing I never knew about Telecasters

11. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I hear they sound different but I've not seen as huge of a difference as I thought between my 69 and 68. I hear a difference in pups maybe.

What is the different sonic characteristic to you guys. Maybe I don't have the ear for it.

12. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    It may be just my insanity, but I think the cap necks are a bit spankier sounding then the maple neck guitars.

13. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    This

However there is no question regarding my insanity!
    Rob

14. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    As soon as I get mine back together I'll hafta AB between the 68 and 69 and listen closely. I may do sound clips so I can really check the difference. Might be fun

15. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I think the fact that it has a 2-piece maple neck, makes for a stiffer neck, which changes the attack of the note. Just my crazy thought.

16. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    1968, Alder Bodied, Blond Bound Custom, Maple Cap

Here is an unusual one I think...Never seen this finish bound, other than on Albert Collins Tele, which I believe wasn't originally Bound. Only one I have seen personally
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    I love this thread! Makes me feel special...

18. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Terry,

Is that your guitar? I have seen shots of that guitar before. And yes, that is a very unusual combination of features.

19. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    So special?

20. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Why did they do a Maple cap?

I reckon it went like this...
    Phase 1 from 1950 to 1959...A Solid piece of Rock Maple gets a rout on the back, a hole through the Headstock and a hole through the butt...The truss rod is passed through the slotted back rout, through the headstock hole and pulled back into position at the butt, secured in place to work, A piece of Walnut or Maple plugs the rout, the Headstock hole and then the Neck is shaped, then finished...
    Phase 2 from 1959 until say 1962...A solid piece of Rock Maple gets a planed flat, a truss Rodd Channel is routed from the top, a hole through the Butt to secure and allow for the Truss Rod Adjustment. A Rod is installed, a Flat bottomed Rosewood Board glued on...the Board is Radiussed, then Fretted. Easy,Like Gibson.
    Phase 3 from 1963...A Solid piece of Rock Maple, Rout for the Truss Rod from the Top, and Butt, Radius the Neck, lay over a thin Rosewood or Maple Board and steam press and glue it onto the Neck...
    Each Phase got easier and therefore cheaper as I see it..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.