Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Possibly assembled by Leo himself.." !

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Meteorman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Without a preposterous statement, I would never have known that Rob Steward was selling a Broadcaster.

goonie likes this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I have had partscasters with as many as three different legit vintage Fender serial numbers.
    The neck plate serial number was the most ridiculous...

3. since71

since71 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2016
    London
    Wo... now you've got me hooked. I'm a sucker for ghost stories, too. Part of the Leo myth is that he had a polystyrene drinks cup with his name on, so maybe he wanted this guitar. Or your house is haunted.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh you Macedonian teens!

5. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    this was many years ago the jag was refinished in a smoke grey and coated with 27 coats of Clear coat by Atilla Zollar ( he made Attila Guitars ), I sold the guitar to a freinds brother and that ws the last I saw of it. there is a fingerprint in the clear coat on the back of the guitar so if you ever come aross it you can look for your self. its the only 60's jag in that color.

Leo was prone to pulling items out of stock working on them then putting them back into the line up so on occassion consistency was an issue , he also liked to stay in the shop at night and work on issues

too bad i didnt know about the cups , I threw out all my styrofoam in last weeks recycle, more like my house is daunted.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

6. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Am I the only guy who wants to see the neck date?:cool:

7. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    It looks perfectly legit to me. That is were the serial number was located until about '55.

8. Guitar_Gunman

Guitar_Gunman Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Missouri
    Its an old guitar gents. If John5 shows up tell him its cash only or no deal, lol. He's a Squire player anyway, and that ones not gaudy enough for his taste. Someone needs to fire off a note to Vince Gill maybe we can get a bidding war started between him and John :eek:

9. customtele

customtele TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2003
    I have not posted on the Forum for a bit but I bought this guitar. I can assure you it is 100% legit. I will post pics when I get back from vacation. Rob is a wonderful man as well as his wife and mother-in-law who was custodian for this guitar. I have pictures with the original owner. It is 100% original, not one screw changed. TG on neck and body. Nacho has seen pics and helped me get an original case. I feel blessed to have to have bought this guitar. And BTW, I'm sure Leo was around when it was made. ;) Oh, and Vince Gill's guitar player showed it to Vince before I even caught wind of the deal. Vince has a wall of Blackguard Tele's, and Amy would not cough up according to Vince. That was his joke. I went to see Vince the night I bought it in Nashville, 2 weeks ago, and wanted him to play it, but I could not get it set-up in time. It had not been played since 1979.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Twisted Kerle likes this.

10. customtele

customtele TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2003
    I have it - 11-8-50.

11. customtele

customtele TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Without that I would never have found it! I'm glad he made that statement!

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Wow, crazy, well if you're ever in Nashville and Vince is busy I'd be glad to play it too, lol! Congrats!! Nacho's blessing is as blessed as they come in the vintage tele world.

13. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Leo is living in my tree house and I asked him. He said that "you guys have too much time on your hands."
    He may be right.

14. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands

Very cool! Congratulations! I can't wait to see the pictures!

15. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    HNGD! I hope it brings you joy (sounds like it already has)

16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Let's see... Leo was 45 in 1954.

My mom was in California in late 1954.

I was born June 1955.

Yup, Leo was my dad.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Mbechmann, Tedzo and lycheelassi like this.

17. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I was born in 54 but don't think I'm ever gonna afford a birth year Fender:oops:.

Have to settle for my 55 LPJ:D

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh my gosh! Call Maury Povich and demand a "DNA Paternity Test" for proof (wink,wink)!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.