Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Possibly assembled by Leo himself.." !

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Meteorman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    fiestared69 likes this.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    You saw it on facebook?
    what are the odds its true?

24 track likes this.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    A few decades ago I had a PA that needed a new power cord. The that did it told me that going by the S/N Mr. Peavey himself probably built it in his garage. Shoot as old as it was when I had it it wouldn't have surprised me

bparnell57 likes this.

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    from wikipedia
    Henry Watson Fowler, in
    The King's English
    , says
    "any definition of irony—though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be accepted—must include this, that the surface meaning and the underlying meaning of what is said are not the same."

t guitar floyd likes this.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    And far more possibly NOT. The guy has a nice old guitar so why bother to invent some myth about Leo actually assembling it. If you're gonna do that do it in jest and indicate that otherwise you get a whole bunch of Tele enthusiasts likes us clucking over it. :rolleyes:

Tremade likes this.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I'm no vintage tele expert, but is that really the serial number stamped on the bridge plate?

7. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

8. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    0079 is too short to be a patent number, and it looks like it was added after the bridge was made, but that would be a strange place to put a serial #. Then again, on a guitar with a bolt on neck, not many best options for where you'd put one. You really need a number on both the neck and body and I am not sure anyone does that.

I wonder if Leo ever considered guys would swap out necks, pickups, etc. or that that fakes would show up and serial numbers would ever be important beyond the company?

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I was once told that Leo expected people to swap out necks rather than have them re-fretted - that was part of the idea of building with a bolt-on neck.

- D

J Hog, pdcorlis and bparnell57 like this.

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    If its on the internet it has to be true! no one is allowed to lie on the internet, didnt you read the fine print? :D

since71 likes this.

11. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I had an early 60's Fender Jaguar it was a sunburst and the finish was all beaten to Rat crap so I refinished it, but when I took off the pick guard there was an LF carved into the body in the space between the pickups I thought it was a hoax untill I realized the finish was over top of the initials , so it had been scribed before the finish went on.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    ftbtx and bparnell57 like this.

12. CharlotteTele

CharlotteTele TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    All Tele serial numbers were on the bridge plates in the early 50s.

t guitar floyd likes this.

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I assumed this thread was about the K&F amp that Joe Bonamassa mentions in his personal gear video.

brbadg likes this.

14. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Cool! I had always guessed it saved money as the neck didn't have to be set perfectly, you could adjust with shims instead.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Well,it WAS possible that he assembled it himself if it was early enough in the game,wasn't it?

16. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Anything is possible and he could have turned a screw or 2, but they had already been making the Esquire for a couple of years before the Broadcaster started production, so it's not like there was still a novelty or a mystery to it. I'm sure he was more concerned with business and designing circuits.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    It's possible there really were monsters under our beds when we were kids too just not very likely is all. Leo was a tinkerer so I'm thinking he spent most of his time tinkering and let the folks he had working for him build and assemble them.

It's a little too much puffery for me. Kinda like implying you have a Model T that Henry Ford himself might have built by hand. ;)

brbadg likes this.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    There were a coupe Leo built himself but they sure as heck weren't production models. Jimmy Bryant owned one back in the day that he said Leo build out of his garage.

19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I thought it was later in the same year the broadcaster came along and had a forced name change in 51', well late 51' as it had no name for a few months...Imho every possibility that Leo could still have been part of his production line when that Broadcaster was put together in 1950..who knows, its a nice thought to a bit of guitar history..

20. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    Even if Leo himself didn't assemble it and it proves to be an authentic 1950 Broadcaster you can be darn sure that John5 is on his way to buy it. o_O:lol:

CodeBlue and brbadg like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.