Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Possible to un-flip Blacktop Tele control plate? Odd cavity routing...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by canyongargon, Jan 21, 2011.

1. canyongargon

canyongargon TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm in the market for a new Tele and I'm thinking one of the new Blacktop Teles might be worth checking out. But I have a very specific question.

It was noted in another thread that the Blacktop Teles have reversed routing in the control cavity, as evidenced by this picture:

[​IMG]

A few speculated about whether or not it would be possible to un-flip the control plate back to the normal orientation with this routing in the cavity. Nobody, however, reported whether or not it would be possible.

Has anyone with a Blacktop tried to un-flip their plate back to normal orientation? If so, were you successful despite the odd routing in the cavity?

2. rallygsc

rallygsc TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Hobart, Indiana USA
    Hello Everyone:
    Canyongargon: no, it will have to be routed, it can be done easily, dremel moto tool sells a routing kit, and you will have to take out a small bit.

now if you have no experience at this, let someone who knows do it, one slip up and it can ruin the guitar.

that body looks like that ebay seller who parts out all of his guitars, I do not know how people make their money back on that, it's beyond me.

but there is a few interesting things.

a friend of mine who I helped out recently, we changed the bridge on the blacktop guitar, we installed an old schecter one with a humbucker opening, and it covered the route while giving the appearance of a modern style tele like Pete Townsend's PT

I had to route out the cavity, I took the hump out in the control cavity, then I repainted the cavity with shielding paint, Stew Mac sells it.

see we tried without routing, and the plate had a gap about 3/8th, it was high on one side.

the 3 way switch was hitting the wooden hump.

fender did this more or less deliberately I guess, or their tooling that is setup for routing was reversed for the backward setup.

easy fix,

but you do have to remember, it will affect the value if you plan on routing out the cavity, and the area needs to be shielded in some way when the routing is done

it can be chiseled too, but I wouldn't do it, one accident and it can be f'd up.

hope this helps

take care
    George

3. canyongargon

canyongargon TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the answer. I guess that's not so big of a deal though. If I buy one, I'll just have to borrow my friend's Dremel kit for an afternoon and get to work, haha. It doesn't seem like it would be a very big job at all, just a matter of shaving down the "bump" a little bit.

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I was about to ask why they don't just route the entire cavity to the 1 1/2 in. depth but I think I just answered my own question. They leave a high spot for attaching a ground wire to the shielding.

5. rallygsc

rallygsc TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Hobart, Indiana USA
    hello everyone:
    Canyongargon: no problem, it was something fender did, but it can be easily fixed, just take your time, I am considering one myself, I'll have to wait till the fall though, too many house projects this year "BROKE AGAIN".

Jack Wells: the grounding lug is no biggy, fender could have put it in the deep part of the cavity or to the side without a problem, that's what we did on Pete's blacktop.

I really think they are a decent guitar, Pete wanted a more traditional look, and the old bridge we installed covered up the humbucker pickup ring area nicely.

easy fix, but as I said before, do it slow and be patient, poly finishes suck when they chip, not easy to touch up in some cases.

take care
    George

6. Italtazman

Italtazman TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Couldn't you solder the ground to the bridge?

7. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Have you tried playing it the way it was built? I played one and it felt natural, for lack of a better word. It was a revelation for me but I play Strats also and maybe it just feels more like that.
    I'm actually looking to reverse the controls on a Tele I have. I thought it was a great idea.
    (apples and oranges right?)

8. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    After reversing the control plate on my Esquire, I now wouldnt have a T-style any other way.
    Aside from the selector considerations, it places the vol and tone in a much 'better' place.

Ok "better"? - well it may not be 'better' for everyone, and admittedly its is not Traditional.
    Maybe I'd like it less also, if I had been playing only conventionally plated T-styles for many, many decades. Perhaps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.