Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Possible issue with neck on av'52

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Fuzzcaster, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Fuzzcaster

Fuzzcaster NEW MEMBER!

Sep 20, 2017
    New York
    Hey folks,
    New guy here.
    Hoping someone can give some opinions on the quality of this neck on a recently acquired av52.
    This is my first tele. Been wanting one forever and finally pulled the trigger. Plays and sounds awesome however I'm a little concerned about the cut of wood used on the neck. Maybe I'm just being a bit too OCD but it's not the straight grain cut you normally see. Is this going to pose as issue in the future? IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2122.JPG IMG_2125.JPG

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    That grain pattern is not atypical on a flatsawn maple neck. There's no reason to believe that the neck will be more or less stable than other flatsawn maple necks.

boris bubbanov and Ricky D. like this.

3. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Probably true. But I have shied away from necks like that simply for cosmetic reasons. I recently sent a maple neck Strat back to Sweetwater because there was a weird wave in the wood grain that didn't show up in the pictures of the guitar on their website.

4. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2003
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Those necks on the av'52's are so strong I can't imagine it would ever be any kind of a problem, I personally think that it adds a little individuality. Don't return it, just enjoy it.

MickM and Darkness like this.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Νο

6. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    I actually think the neck looks cool that way. Different, but cool nonetheless. OP, if you know it’s gonna bug you, send it back.

swany and MickM like this.

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I recently got an AV '58 and a '64 and both have grain similar to yours. I like 'em because they're unique. The only neck I had to have replaced was a beautifully figured 11 year old big fat NoCaster neck which decided that it would like to remain in a convex state that the truss rod could not coax back. Fender couldn't have been better in the customer service dept. and did their best to match the old necks figuring even though it wasn't an issue with me.

Darkness and swany like this.

8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I too think its fine and looks cool-kind of looks like it is inviting you to bend strings upward around the 10th/ 11th fret...and it kind of looks like a mountain range

9. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    Pratt,KS
    I'm a bit OCD about my guitars as well, but I wouldn't worry about the strength of that neck. It doesn't have flaws, it has character.

10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    jump on the neck, see if it cracks. If it does, try to send it back.

kurtmanifest1 likes this.

11. Fuzzcaster

Fuzzcaster NEW MEMBER!

Sep 20, 2017
    New York
    Cool! I don't mind how it looks at all. Plays great, sounds great. I figured it was fine but wanted some input. Buying instruments online can be hit or miss sometimes. I've been very lucky in the past though. Plan on gigging with it next Saturday. Can't wait!

fenderchamp likes this.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome!

I've got a Jimmie Vaughan Signature Strat with some maple that does that, and a G + L Comanche that's a bit like that also. They're actually two of the nicest sounding, stable necked guitars I have. That little blemish on the face of the headstock is something that would annoy me personally - glad to know that doesn't bother you.

Hey. Looking at your little E string. Mighty close to the edge of the fretwork. You might detension that string and see if you can skootch the string over on the barrel saddle and retighten it. In this way you needn't worry about the little E string playing "off the board" as you begin playing your AV harder and harder. The location of the nut slot looks fine.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    welcome aboard. Play that guitar like you mean it - it's a great instrument.

I've got a 2001 telecaster with a very flat sawn neck very much like yours and no problems whatsoever.

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    That's just natural variance in the wood grain.

Looks like you're got yourself a beautiful instrument - welcome to the forum!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.