Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Possible Grounding issue?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jhferguson, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jhferguson

jhferguson TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Kingston Tennessee
    Hey yall,

I have a Squire Tele that is modeled after the blacktop series (HH). I recently replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans and they came with Chrome covers.

I have them wired in correctly and they respond like they should to each position of the 3-way switch. However, there is a hum when the switch is in the neck and bridge position. If I touch the pickups while in the neck or bridge position the hum goes away and sounds really quiet.

When the switch is in the middle the hum is also gone and I know this means that they are out of phase. But how do I get rid of that hum in the neck and bridge positions? Do I need to ground the Chrome covers? How would I do that? Just run a wire from the chrome pickup to the back of a pot and solder both ends? There is not a grounding tab on my chrome covers like I have read about on the web. Thank you for your time and response.

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Kolding, Denmark.
    Not sure I can be of much help, but the covers are soldered to the baseplate which is connected with the ground wire. So no grounding directly to the covers should be necessary.
    Are they 4 conductor or the braided lead?

Maybe a better description or photo of how you wired them can help the experts around here :)

3. jhferguson

jhferguson TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Kingston Tennessee
    Yes the covers are soldered in 4 different small spots to the back of the pickup which I assume is called the baseplate.

The pickups have a red, green, black, white, and bare wire and they are both this way.

I have them wired like this.

Neck Pickup: Red wire going to the 3-way switch. Green and Bare wire grounded to the back of the volume pot.

Bridge Pickup: Green wire going to the 3-way switch. Red and Bare wire grounded to the back of the volume pot.

This is what the schematic called for and I followed it exactly. I did not use the black and white wires at all for anything because they are not in the schematic unless you have a push pull pot.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Kolding, Denmark.

5. Sasz

Sasz Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2007
    UK
    As JohnnyN says. ^

I'd just add that, looking at the diagram below, I think that at the moment you have the pickups wired as single coils, which would explain the noise, I guess.

SDcodes.JPG

6. jhferguson

jhferguson TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Kingston Tennessee
    You are correct. I switched the wires around and made a better ground and it sounds really good. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, some of the noise came from the littel min-tone Fender amp that I was using...lol I wasn't thinking and had it sitting on top of the guitar while I changed out wires and such. Thank you all for your advice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.