Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Possible 1953 Esquire, seeking info

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pulpadded, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well there in lies the problem; one expert says it was authentic and one expert says it wasn't. By that standard the fact that there is a difference of opinion is enough for me to say that actual value is indeterminate.

So really what is being advocated is that the seller shops for an opinion that will support his ideal not the truth of the matter which, since its altered, the intrinsic value of the components. If the seller thinks different then throw in out on the general market with all the avenues to sell it. Put it on Ebay, Reverb, etc., determine when he needs it sold by then highest offer accepted at that time and its true value is now know.

Dealers really don't want to mess with this stuff these days because there is so much that doesn't have issues coming back on the market. I know one dealer that doesn't even take consignments in anymore and just buys them out right because availability of good pieces are so plentiful right now.

As been said many times on this forum and in many posts the vintage market is shrinking, fewer new buyers are stepping in at the the listed price points and sellers are looking to retire and cash out.

Buyers who want the vintage specs can get that need met with these great reissues and at a significantly lower price.

old crow likes this.

2. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    I'll throw in my two cents. This guitar, in current condition, tells a hard story. Refinishing or even removing the stickers would take that away. If I had $3k to blow, I'd buy it as is. But, I'm broke and have never spent more than $250 on a guitar. So there's, that. o_O

Anyhoo, good luck with the decision.

3. BrandonIke

BrandonIke TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you'd have to be crazy to stumble upon a once-in-a-lifetime find like this and want to flip it, no matter what it's potential value could be..

4. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    Wow, it survived all that without getting carved for a neck humbucker. At least we know it never passed through the hands of Keith Richards. Who by the way, had he put a belly-cut in Micawber, belly-cuts would be all the rage.

BrandonIke likes this.

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    If you are set on selling it, I'd try to put top notch photos on an eBay ad with a $5K starting price and take it from there.
    If I found a guitar like that, I'd probably do the opposite - sell most of my other stuff ;)

Uncle Bob and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Personally, I wouldn't sell it. But, that's my own code of ethics...I try not to profit off of something that's given me joy. I used to be very involved in longboarding and skateboarding, and whenever I'd be gifted some gear from a company and I'd sell it, karma would take a little chunk out of my body.

As I mentioned earlier, I think it's worth taking into a professional, someone of the same caliber as Gruhn's or Elderly, if for nothing but to establish provenance and figure out exactly what you have. If you're feeling particularly spicy, I'd throw a couple bucks into having it professionally cleaned up, set up, and made playable.

Above all else though, I'm a little suspicious of the whole thing. Someone, somewhere knew what this guitar was, and what it meant in the history of guitars...These things don't just fall out of trees. Sure, there's always that one old dude who picked up a brand new Telecaster in the 50's and never played it, then gave it to the lawn boy for payment on a summer of work, but from an outsider's perspective, this feels a half a bubble off plumb, especially considering if what the OP said is true, and Gruhn's wouldn't even opine on the topic.

7. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    First pic I saw had Phillips head pg screw. Should have slotted screw, correct?

Can the op please add pics to the thread instead of links?

hrstrat57 likes this.

8. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    They started the transition from flatheads to phillips around '52.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

No that year and later 52 were a mix of screws.

Here is a thread I did about 4 months ago when I went through a late 52 esquire with a Tadeo neck.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1953-blackguard-esquire-3980.691135/

10. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    Is the offer made reasonable? Someone is claiming that repairing the tummy cut is possible and would make it worth far more but I sort of doubt anyone will spend more than the additional cost of repair and refinish for something repaired.

11. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    If the offer is reasonable, someone is snagging it tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.