Possible 1953 Esquire, seeking info

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pulpadded, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Am I reading the neck date of OP's guitar correct as 4-24-53? If so, the bank of photos on the previous page has a neck made just 2 days previous on 4-22-53. Both have the single slot truss rod adjustment - a point in favor, but I'm having a hard time seeing the "G" on OP's guitar. How does the TDPRI think those two necks compare?

2. jondanger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  3. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

great find, congrats! what's the last number of the serial? 240X? Can you post some full shots of the guitar? looks great, even as a refin.

4. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I'm reading 4-24 but I can't make out the year.

5. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

I will try to take some more tomorrow. If anyone wants specific pictures of anything that isn't the heel or pocket so I don't need to remove the neck for the first time, let me know.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always been interested to see what people do to stuff thinking they are improving it. The brown stain over poor sanding on the whole darn guitar just makes me wonder who owned it at the time and what they might have thought about wood products and guitars.

I find it more curious that someone bothered to buy and install a fairly expensive Duncan Antiquity, yet thought the guitar had no value.

Obviously the pickup went in a decade or probably two after the "refin", so those events are unrelated.
    This makes me think it may have been stolen at some point, probably a couple of owners back; though another possibility might be that the owner who "left it at someones house" might have previously inherited the guitar, and later died unexpectedly, which sort of fits with the stickers.

I doubt anyone would pay for the Antiquity pickup and put on all the stickers, then abandon the guitar willingly.
    Somewhere along the line something went terribly wrong with the last legit owner.

Rightful ownership of "abandoned property" has been legally challenged in cases of important valuable guitars, but of course only when the "previous" owner found out a guitar had surfaced and come up for sale.

Cool find!
    But it would make me a bit uncomfortable as to how it came to be "free stuff".

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

It is possible the guitar was an esquire, which was my original assumption prior to realizing the bridge pickup was aftermarket.

The story of the previous owner was that he had a drug problem. That tells me he didn't know it was valueable. He left everything he owned and they held his stuff, mainly this guitar and his family photos, for a few years. No one has heard from him since. My friend said that there is no indication he was musically inclined, as in they didn't see him play music and none of his photos are of him playing, so it may have been something he had from someone else.

8. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

The Antiquity had me wondering too. I can't begin to speculate about previous ownership or whatever, but I'd have a pro refinish that thing and live a happy life!

9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There are no screw holes in the neck pickup slot, so this was always an Esquire, not a Telecaster. Also, the controls...

E5RSY, El Tele Lobo and telemnemonics like this.
  10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Drug addict may have stolen it.

Doorlord likes this.
  11. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Maybe, but an addict wouldn't keep something of value, or leave it when moving.

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

You do not really need Gruhn, that is a real one. Are you a guitar player Pullpadded? If so then you might have ended up with the finest damn guitar you could think of. If I had to put a value on it I would say 5k easily.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Yes they would tend to sell it fast I'd think so that is strange.

If the guitar is a fake it's a good one.

14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

One other thing PP, opinions vary on whether you should get a guitar like that restored before selling it. A full restoration would cost maybe upto 1k but as a buyer I personally would have a preference for its current UNrestored condition.

telemnemonics and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

I am a guitar player, but I would prefer to have something cheaper. At this price point, I could sell it and get something I would not be as concerned with damaging.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  16. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

That's a great guitar and I'm sure most of us on here would love to own it but, bearing in mind its condition, unless you plan on attacking it with a chainsaw, there's pretty much no chance you would be able to damage it in normal use enough to reduce is value.

Flakey, OlRedNeckHippy, Piotr and 3 others like this.
  17. niksevig119

niksevig119 TDPRI Member

Great find. Let it inspire you, or someone else. Thats an amazing guitar. Congrats!

18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I'd get a pro set up to 53 specs and play the heck out of it. Free! Yikes, would not even consider selling that! Talk about inspirational! Wow!

BrandonIke, Piotr and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

If you sell it, you may never get the chance to own one again.

20. jondanger

Anyone else jonesing for shots of this whole guitar fully assembled? I feel like I'm looking at the Loch Ness Monster . . .

E5RSY, BrandonIke and Piotr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.