Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Possible 1953 Esquire, seeking info

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pulpadded, Apr 25, 2017.

1. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    My friend gave me a tele that a roommate left at his house years ago. I can take more photos if anyone asks. I do not see a serial on the neck.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/WDRn4

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

2. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    It was recommended by most shops locally that I take it to a dude here to get it appraised. He said he could, but even that might be a waste because he isn't willing to say it definitely is a 53 for $65 and then not be right. He recommended I call Gruhn, who said the same; they can't give me a definite answer because they don't want to risk their reputation but I can spend money for get a vague response if I prefer. The local dude suggested I take it to a guitar show and try to sell it as real and expect criticism, which isn't really what I would prefer. I was hoping to get it authenticated and repaired.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Any serial number on the bridge?

4. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    If it is from 1953 the serial number will only be stamped on the bridgeplate. It will be a four digit number. You would need to look at the end of the neck and inside the pickup routes to find hand dating if it is genuine. It is a terrible picture to even give a rough opinion, but it looks so dark that if it was a '53 I would expect that it has been refinished.

5. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Look for dates on the pots? The fact that it has 'Tadeo' on it I think is a good sign. Tadeo Gomez I would think.

6. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    It does seem as if it were refinished; the pickup pockets are more wood tone yellow while the body and neck have a chipped red brown.

7. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Could be real. Does the bridge have a number? You should measure the exact width of the walnut skunk stripe on the back of the neck and post it here.

8. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Not enough there to really say, but it looks like BS to me. Was it in a fire, or painted black or is that somebody's crazy idea of relicing?

At least this one tried to add the signature of a real fender employee of the 50's (Tadeo Gomez) but I have never seen any claim or show an example that he ever wrote "Tadeo" on anything. All info I have seen says he wrote "T.G." or "Tad".

You would need better pictures to get anything remotely like an opinion.

9. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    upload_2017-4-25_16-20-27.png

It looks like someone did a home refinish. People did a lot of unfortunate things to guitars since the 50s.

10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I see no things yet that would dismiss it as original '53. Having said that, all the details that the pictures provide are easily faked (except the black corrosion on the metal parts, that is almost impossible to fake).

11. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    Faking seems strange to me, as no one felt it had value. It was given to me by someone who didn't know it was worth anything and left by someone prior to that person giving it to me. It's been sitting for a few years.

12. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Unfortunately fakes are fairly common. There's a '59 Esquier in a pawn shop about ten miles away from me that is a ridiculous fake. Unfortunately somebody will drop a bunch of money on it one of these days.

That's not to say yours is fake by any means...

More pictures with better lighting would help, particularly neck pictures showing the end of the neck heel and fret markers. If it is authentic, it's a pretty valuable guitar.

Henry likes this.

13. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Mar 17, 2009
    Princeton, NJ
    Interesting comment about "Tadeo" pencil mark. JW Black has posted this example from a guitar that passed through his shop. Mr. Black is a pretty reliable source.

[​IMG]

Superrock likes this.

14. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Yes, the Tadeo is perfect and I even have one of the day before yours in my collection. I see no worry so far with these pictures, everything has the right specs, there seem to be all original stuff on it : tuners, string tree. A second very important visible clue is the nail hole next to the neck pickup cavity (see my avatar, you see the same thing on a 51 refinished in the 70's). Nail holes absolutely have to be there and there should be a second one on the horn side. I feel good about this one. Curious to see neck bottom.

TADEO NECK CAVITY.png

OlRedNeckHippy and MickM like this.

15. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    If this one turns out to be legit... wow, what a find.
    No chance of stumbling upon a 50's tele in my part of the world. Comrade Stalin wouldn't let them in to Eastern Europe.

SnidelyWhiplash and BrandonIke like this.

16. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    Some more photos. It seems like the sticker sitting in the bridge route is from the pickup.

http://imgur.com/a/u9wRH

17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Yes that is from the SD antiquity pickup. The pickguard looks homemade to me. Are the knobs different from each other? One of them (volume) looks even older than 53 in the pics. Much of the electronics look original to me, except obviously the orange drop. Interesting guitar.

18. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2011
    DC
    Someone mentioned the nail holes under the pickguard and it made me wonder, as there weren't an additional holes. However, if the guitar was refinished, there are small indents where those nails would be.

I also took a photo of the neck bottom.

http://imgur.com/a/IG4r9

19. dwh100

dwh100 TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2016
    LA county
    You got a keeper! congrats!

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Looks pretty correct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.