Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Porter Custom Tele Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ozan, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I'm building a MJT Tele and they have recommended Porter Pickups. I mostly play rock/blues and i was wondering if The Customer Tele pickups from Porter would do the trick.

A bright tone on Neck pickup is important for me btw.

2. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    A lot depends on the woods used in the guitar. Unfortunately, it is hard to say just how a set of pickups will sound in your guitar. Tho, Porters are highly regarded as a quality set. I have been well pleased with Lollar "Special T's" with A5 magnets. Also, a lot depends on how you play, do you use effects, what amp do you use, what strings, what pick, etc...

ozan likes this.

3. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Thanks for the information. I am building a swamp ash body with maple neck & fretboard. I mostly play at home with Bias Amp modeller. The strings i use Daddario 10s and the pick is 1.00-1,5 mm.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I have a Porter Custom bridge paired with a Porter 9t neck and love them. If you like a bright neck the Porter Custom neck might work for you, but the 9t will almost surely be too warm. As for the Custom bridge, I find it bright in a traditional sense, but with slightly rounded off highs and a little more thickness. If you want to go a step or two fatter with the bridge for rock, I would recommend the Cavalier Fat Lion or Huge Lion, depending on how fat you want to go. The Huge almost gets into P90 territory. Fellow TDPRIer roknfnrol does great demos of both of these pickups, as well as the Fat Lion King neck...which I would also recommend. Both the Fat Lion and the Fat Lion King can get pretty bright, if you set them a little higher, and they have a wide range of tones across the tone pot. Both are thicker and fuller, with more midrange and aren't muddy or bassy. They are FANTASTIC pickups and seriously worth a look if you are doing rock (I'm using mine for jazz mainly, but Rob designed them for rock). Rob's Lion King is a great neck option too. He also offers a more strat-like Lioness and Fat Lioness.

The Porters are great pickups too. I love mine. If you want to stick with Porters and want more beef from the bridge and more brightness from the neck, you may look at the 9t bridge (almost P90ish) paired with a Custom, Standard or Vintage neck...depending on the sound you're after. They're a lot more money than the Cavaliers, but they are great pickups. Sounds like you're looking for a set that's almost the opposite of mine though. Just the same, here's a link to a demo on my channel:

I have some other pieces I've done with them (just look for any videos with the black tele) too...none of them are formal demos...more like performance pieces where I work through the pickup selections. I use a 4-way switch by the way. Mike's (roknfnrol) demos are probably more in your (rock) wheelhouse. You can find his stuff easily enough on youtube. He goes by the same handle there. He seems to wire up 3-way almost exclusively. His demos are fantastic! Sold me on the Porters and later the Cavs (I'm on my second set with the Fatties...first was a Nashville/Lion King). Happy hunting and good luck!

ozan likes this.

5. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    There are so many great wonders out there, you would be hard pressed to make a bad choice! I've had a few Porter pickups and they were certainly of excellent quality in build and tone.

Cavalier has been mentioned also and I really don't think you can find a better pickup period. My other fav's include anything by Zhangbucker. Jason Lollar, Fralin, BG, SK, Fezzter, (among several others who may not be winding any longer) have all blessed me with glorious tone.

ozan and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Many thanks for these valuable information, much appreciated!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.