Popular bands that are really bad live..especially the singer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 21, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Van Morrison stands out as maybe the worst live act I've seen. This came up in a thread some time ago. He sang fine, but literally did not speak one word or acknowledge the audience at all, even once. Just stood there like a corpse (and this was like 15 years ago). Another disappointment, from long long ago: Dire Straits. They sounded great, just like the records. But somehow it was a boring show. Oh, actually I remember now i saw Keith Richards live (some kind of solo project) back in the 80s, and that was pretty bad. And Johnny Thunders (from the New York Dolls) was so bad the theater literally turned on the house lights during the middle of his set (the equivalent of getting "the hook.") That sure was a long time ago....

stinkey, CharlieO, DonM and 1 other person like this.
  2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Different era than most of the suggested, but Blink 182 is awful live. Travis Barker is a great drummer but the other two can’t sing at all live and Tom can barely play some of his own songs on guitar

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I've never rated him as a vocalist, even in interview he says he can't sing live like he does in the studio but it doesn't matter because it's live.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He was better last year than he was 15 years ago. Markedly better.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

It's like a whole genre: I'm So Good That Even if I Suck and People Will Still Pay Me.
    Kinda like pro athletes. Gotta get 'em while they're still on their way up.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

missed seeing Dylan live when he was in his prime - when i saw him a couple of years ago the show was a sell-out - he came back through

here last year with the same lineup and word about his previous show kept the crowd size down and left plenty of empty seats in the theater -

don't know if his vocals were as bad as the previous year when i saw him, but i wasn't going to waste any more money to find out - i simply

cannot imagine what his vocals were like 15 years ago if what i heard was "markedly better" -

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Kind of a reverse response, I loved Kansas in the 70s and 80s but Steve Walsh had kind of lost his voice there for a while. Saw them in the mid 90s and wasn't expecting much but he really brought it. Boston was at that show too with both Brad Delp and Fran Cosmo on hand to sing, that was freaking sweet!

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'll
    I'll have to give it a shot.

To be fair I've not given their albums a fair chance. I didn't like what the radio offered up (which isn't the band's fault). Because my bass player is such a massive fan I downloaded several albums which I randomly try to like.

I may not have come across that album because I wouldn't have known to seek it out since I wasn't really paying attention anymore.

Everything I've ever heard live has been amazing. Massive respect to those guys.

I guess it could be said that I just gravitate to live (or recorded live) music. Whether it be Pink Floyd, Neil Young or most bands I have access to the live versions those albums usually become my favorites.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. 6String69

6String69 TDPRI Member

Bad Brains.

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Southern Harmony is hands down their best album. Shout out to Shake Your Money Maker as well - their first - if you like smoky bar rock ballads. Southern was more polished. The A side was as good as 90's music got. Amorica has a handful of good songs as well. After that (circa 1996), it went downhill a bit. Great band though, especially live!

teletimetx, Marc Morfei and G.Rotten like this.
  11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

The Red Hot Chile Peppers. I've seen them twice and they weren't good either time. They put on a pretty decent show but sounded awful.

jjudas and Stiles like this.
  12. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Saw Van Morrison as headliner at the Hollywood Bowl, 2016. Tom Jones opened for him. Tom Jones definitely still "has it' as a vocalist. Actually really damn good that night.

Van Morrison came across as a slurred drunk at that show, and looked like all he was doing was going through the motions. I won't be going to see him again.

I will be going to see some Old Farts by the name of Dead and Company in a couple of weeks. I think it's going to be a wonderful listening experience.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  13. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

"Popular bands that are really bad live..especially the singer."

Most of them...

sardinista and 0 2339 like this.
  14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I saw Ozzy in 1981. Fat, sweaty, shirtless, drunk as hell. Could barely stand, let alone sing.

StrangerNY and RodeoTex like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A friend of mine was in a band in Alabama years ago and a band came in after them unannounced and played the last set of the night. My friend asked who the bad Black Crows cover band was and someone said, "That's not a cover band, that's actually the Black Crows."

modavis99, stinkey and 6stringcowboy like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

That had to have been some time ago. How many years has it been since the big Blow Up? Early 2016?

I saw Stills in 2011 and his vocals were pretty darned good. Not as good as Furay or Young, but Steve never could sing like Richie could.

And friends of ours saw Steve when he toured with Judy and said his vocals were good.

Steve has always gone through these cycles where he tries to do too much, and messes his voice up. He's done this for 40 years +.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, am I the only one feeling a little self-conscious?

18. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Black Oak Arkansas - bad live and on record.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The Freak N Roll album is essential ownership for The Black Crowes. It has Marc Ford on it and the sound is raw. It is not sterile and compressed like the studio albums, not is it over-produced as some album versions are (Sting Me is a prime example with the hand clapping).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_'n'_Roll...Into_the_Fog:_The_Black_Crowes_All_Join_Hands,_The_Fillmore,_San_Francisco

Scroll up to about 4:40 for excellent Tele work by Marc Ford:

G.Rotten likes this.
  20. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

HR's live performances are legendary! Recent years are not good...not because he can't sing, but because he's mentally ill.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.